We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelled flight due to strike

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Cancelled flight due to strike

Hi

Grateful for some advice. Due to fly back Bogota -> LHR today with TAP but flight cancelled due to pilot strike. Interestingly only knew about this 3d ago from a Facebook post - nobody either TAP or Opodo had informed us so if we hasn't checked we would have turned up. We rang TAP who offered us flight returning 3d later which was no good as I need to be back for work. They couldn't help us. So I booked an alternative airline. Where do I stand in claiming money back? My travel insurance doesn't cover strike. Looks like the strike was announced a week before departure but stress we were never informed. TAP tell me sort it out with travel agent. Should I expect a refund of the new ticket I had to buy? A refund of my old ticket? Compensation?

Thanks in advance.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,286 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelled flight due to strike

TAP is a EU communiy carrier and as such, are bound by EU regulations. Legally you would stand a good chance of getting your money back for the new ticket.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancelled flight due to strike

As TAP offered you an alternative (that you did not accept - and I understand why), you may not have much luck. Not sure on the often quoted EU regulations in this regard - hopefully one of our experts can advise on that soon.

**Thanks Lex - You were right on the ball tonight**

Edited: 09 August 2014, 10:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancelled flight due to strike

If the flight was cancelled you would be due a refund from the airline.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancelled flight due to strike

Some info on local media, this is one quote

Plenty of notice has been given and passengers allowed to switch flights or being given a full refund, so this shouldn’t cause too much disruption.

http://tinyurl.com/nqo6r9n

Edited: 09 August 2014, 11:29
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancelled flight due to strike

Thank you everyone for their helpful replies. Just annoyed that we have this extra stress and dampner on what would have been a memorably wonderful holiday. Its alright for them to publish info on local info but tourist don't always sit watching local TV or news, and we were on a 4d trek up a mountain. An easy email to us would have suffice!!

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancelled flight due to strike

If you booked through a travel agent that is your first port of call as TAP would have informed them, I use TAP all the time but directly and I have never had any problems with flight changes. Perhaps your Travel Agent did not inform you about the change but if you declined the option they offered to you then perhaps there is nothing you can do.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancelled flight due to strike

Why does it not surprise me that it is Opodo that has failed to provide the customer service a travel agent should?

8. Re: Cancelled flight due to strike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16