We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
48 reviews
Save Topic
delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

on August 6return from Prague to JFK I found my economy comfort seat was cancelled and given to some body else.delta rep could not explain and offered me 100 dollars credit.i called corporate personnel person named Kendra from Salt Lake City when contacted told me it is to delta credit they gave me space to travel and send me reduced credit of 50 dollars .when contacted again corporate personnel named marlon he said Kendra works in Salt Lake City office but posed as corporate personnel he said credit of 50 dollars is more than adequate. readers should judge the self if delta is worthy air line for travel unless it is the only carrier running the route thank u r raju from New York

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

I think Delta is already on the "Do Not Fly" list, isn't it?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,577 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

Hi,

While DLs corporate offices are in Atlanta, like all the "big 3" they do maintain regional offices that are administrative in nature and with staff that are just as empowered to address complaints/issues like this as anyone at their WW headquarters..

As to the merits.. Unlike some Euro or Asian carriers, DLs economy comfort isn't a wholly separate cabin itself with it's own fare class structure etc - as such this isn't a downgrade in the sense of DG compensation claims.

That said, IF you paid any premium for this seat, THEN I wholly agree you are due those funds back.. However, IF you did NOT pay any additional fees for this seat assignment, then DL owes you nothing from a contractual basis.

I do think that their offer of a travel credit is appropriate and inline with the merits (as I view them here) of your claim.

So again, two parts.. If you paid a fee - it should be retired to you in the same firm you paid it (cash for cash, credit back to card for CC payments etc) I also think a small gesture of goodwill is appropriate and if sounds like that was done.

Do remember that in all almost all cases a carrier does retain the absolute right to change your seating assignment and at their sole discretion* and without any advance notice to you.

(Naturally changes that are true cabin DGs or seat fee paid cases would have a required compensation issue as well)

Given what's disclosed here, I don't see any real failures on DLs part.. Yes, a seat change isn't fun, but so long as any money paid is returned, it sounds like it was fairly addressed and by the correct level management personnel.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 10 August 2014, 04:13
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,904 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

If you paid for Economy Comfort then you should get the fee refunded. If you had the EC seat for free, say as a top tier frequent flier, then there's no refund and I'd say a gesture of goodwill is fair.

delta.com/content/…economy-comfort.html

"We reserve the right to assign or reassign an Economy Comfort seat at any time, even after boarding of the aircraft, for operational, safety or security reasons. The final decision resides with the ground staff and operating crew on the day of the flight. Refunds will be issued to any reassigned customer if the customer is not moved to a comparable or better seat and no MQDs will be awarded."

You can apply for the refund using their automatic feedback/complaints section - delta.com/contactus/…index.jsp

Edited: 10 August 2014, 04:15
4. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 08:05
New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

I've travelled with family members with mobility disabilites (e.g. - my brother is a vet and has severe knee difficulties) so I have personally asked to bump able-bodied passengers from Economy Comfort for my brother's sake. I just did this three weeks ago when returning from Phoenix - my brother's seat was switched due to an equipment change to a seat that would have been too inaccessible for him, so I bumped whatever able-bodied individuals who were sitting in the Economy Comfort row. Delta was very accommodating and bumped an entire row so I could sit next to my brother to assist him. So if your seat was given to someone else after you booked it, they probably were disabled and thus have priority over you (this is akin to giving up your seat at the entrance of a bus or a train to the elderly, the disabled, etc.). In which case, the refund of your fee, added to the satisfaction of knowing you accommodated someone less capable, is appropriate.

California
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

I have never heard of someone requesting an airline to bump other passengers no matter it's for a physical disability. I agree that maybe it's okay to do so for the disabled person but to bump an entire row is too much.

Edited: 05 November 2014, 22:00
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,154 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

I'm wondering how that works too. How does a passenger have the right to get other passengers bumped unless they are high status?

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

There are far too many reasons why a disabled person would need a caregiver right next to them - to help with meds, some individuals have dexterity issues and need help eating, blind individuals and hearing-impaired individuals need help in emergencies, individuals with cognitive issues need guidance, those with emotional issues and many autistic individuals need reassurance and calming down, physically disabled need help getting in and out of their seat and going to the bathroom, and so forth. Many of these individuals are flying not to take vacations (not that they're certainly entitled to do so!), but to get to hospitals and treatment centers for their care. I am a national advocate on the issues for the disabled and am well versed in what many families and caregivers have to go through. Bumping able-bodied individuals from more accessible seats is the least of the difficulties these individuals encounter in their daily lives and thankfully most people are very willing to give up their seats for the disabled and their caregivers. I have found that most people are very understanding and kind.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

Uh, would it be possible to just book far enough in advance that you weren't "bumping" people from their seats? Some people may "need" those seats too. Lots of people don't advertise their medical conditions.

I can't imagine why an airline would allow you to "bump" people from these seats. If I worked for the airline and you asked me, I would suggest you find a flight that would better suit your needs.

Can you say "entitlement"?

Edited: 05 November 2014, 22:25
California
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: delta canceling economy comfort seat reservation

Yes. WilPowerMom I do understand your reasoning, and I find the attitude to be presumptuous. You discount other people, albeit seemingly able-bodied types, who also have personal reasons why they want to sit in certain seats.

Edited: 05 November 2014, 22:32