We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

Hi all. I am travelling from India to Jakarta with change of flight at Kuala Lampur.

from delhi to KL it is Milando and from KL to Jakarta it is Lion air.

MY issue is do i require a visa?

Please reply, would be grateful.

57 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,031 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

If the travel is on one ticket, your luggage will be checked through, you can stay airside, and you do not need a visa.

If you are on 2 tickets, you will have to enter Malaysia to collect and re-check your luggage and a visa will be needed.

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), India
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

From the Malaysian government site. It appears that you will require a visa.

PASSENGER WHO INTENDED NOT TO LEAVE THE AIRPORT

If you are already check in for the next flight and do not plan to leave the airport terminal (i.e. you just want to wait for the next flight in the terminal building), Malaysian visa is not required.

Please consult your airline / travel agent to ensure that you will get your boarding pass for the connecting flight without going out from the main terminal.

Please read further for the case for passenger who depart / arrive from / at Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

LOW COST CARRIER TERMINAL (LCCT), KLIA

Visitors who depart / arrive at / from Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) at KLIA MUST posses valid Malaysian visa (or eligible for Transit Pass), doesn’t matter how long the waiting / transit time is (i.e. you can not wait for the next flight inside the terminal building). WHY?

Air Asia is a point to point carrier. Thus, they didn't provide transit (without check out) facility for their passengers. i.e. passenger has to check out from the airport and re-check-in again for the next flight. Passenger has to pass through the immigration check and valid Malaysian visa / Transit Pass is absolutely required for that.

Currently, Air Asia had announce Transit facility for certain route (with Single PNR ticket only). Do check with them for clarification.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

Malindo lands at KLIA2 but I am not sure about Lion Air but if Lion Air departs from KLIA, then irrespective of whether luggage is checked through to Jakarta, you have to change terminal and that will require a visa. You need to ckeck on Lion Air's website.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

Just did a check Lion Air also departs from KLIA2

New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

thanks Thomas. So do i need a visa?

scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

You don't need a visa as long as you don't try to leave the airport

Edited: 13 August 2014, 21:46
New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

Hi, I am travelling to Australia from India with a transit one night stay in Kuala Lumpur in the onward journey and 2 nights stay on the return journey. I will be using Malindo Air for travel between India and Malaysia that lands on KLIA - 2 and Air Asia for my travel from KL to Australia and back to KL which uses LCCT terminal in KL.

My question is whether i will be requiring a visa before arrival or can apply for a transit pass which is valid for 120 hours of stay. The policy on the Malaysian website is as under :

TRANSIT PASS (WITHOUT VISA)

Starting from 15 July 2010, Indian national who transit to Malaysia may apply for Transit Pass for not more than 120 hours (5 days) on their journey to a third country.

This pass is issued only at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT).

Please check whether you are eligible for Transit Visa / Pass or not. The following are conditions for the said visa / pass:

(i) Indian visitor(s) who enter / depart to / from the country from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) only;

(ii) Visitor must possess a valid visa (Single Entry / Multiple Entry) from the destination country (only Australia, U.S.A., China, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand and Taiwan);

(iii) Visitor must possess a valid passport / travel document with an expiry date of not less than 6 months on the date of visit;

(iv) Visitor is not listed among those barred from entering Malaysia;

(v) Visitor must be in possession of a confirmed ticket to a third country;

(vi) Visitor must be able to finance his/her stay in Malaysia;

(vii) Visitor MUST visit the country in group (package tour) and the trip is either a packaged tour in Malaysia or in the destination country;

As per the information above i feel i qualify for the transit visa, but have heard that the transit pass facility is available only for Malaysian airlines and Air Asia passengers. However no such thing is mentioned on the Malay High Commission website.

Could any one help on this issue.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

mukand, #1 has answered your question, because you are on 2 separate tickets you will have to pass through immigration collect your luggage then come back through immigration and check your luggage in with Lion air, so you will need a Visa, if you have no checked luggage then you dont have to have a Visa, you just get off your Malindo flight and board your Lion air flight, you stay airside the whole time

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

Hi Mukand, did you actually need visa? Does flights connect at same KL airport?

As i understand Lion Air and Malindo are same group airlines and can issue boarding pass together for whole journey.. Thanks

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL

Hi I am travelling back from a tour to hong kong and there is a layover time of 22 hours in Malaysia. If I plan to do a local tour to the nearby place(which means i would leave the airport) do I need to apply for Malaysian via before hand or will I be eligible for a Transit without Visa facility - Nationality Indian (and I would have a visa on arrival stamped by HK).I am flying by Malaysian airlines. Please advise.

Reply to: Is Malaysian visa reqd., if changing flights at KL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted