We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking flights from a third country

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Booking flights from a third country

We are travelling to the UK in December from Australia. Whilst there we would like to do a 3 day city break in Rome. I have been told by package deal operators that I must reside in the UK to book a package. Does anyone know of a loop hole which would allow me to book and pay for a package London to Rome return with accommodation, from Australia?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,978 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking flights from a third country

I suggest you go and have a talk with a competent travel agent. You will usually get better advice and service from a small independent agency than from the chains that infest shopping centres.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking flights from a third country

Or you could just book flights and hotel separately.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,657 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking flights from a third country

Yes I agree with post #2. We do that all the time - and sorry Nick but I would NEVER use a travel agent for this sort of thing. Just book an Easyjet flight and a B&B in Rome. It will certainly be cheaper than booking a package.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,669 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking flights from a third country

Just book a flight yourself, theres no need at all to get somebody to do it for you

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,950 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking flights from a third country

I don't know whether your agent in Australia is having you on, or telling the truth. I suspect it's somewhere in between, perhaps with a slant to their getting more $ off you.

But as others have said, you don't need to book a three day package to Rome from London. Book the flights and hotels yourselves. Book the flights directly from the airline. Book the hotels either direct or via an agent. Use the TripAdvisor hotel reviews as a guide as to which to choose. And check out the Rome forum for advice about what to see and how to get around.

And could I suggest to check out the UK and London forums for advice and ideas there. I hope you're not thinking of tour operator bus tours in the UK which will stifle your freedom and give you great views of the UK's motorways and traffic jams.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 06:20
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking flights from a third country

As already suggested, you don't need to book a package.

Book flights and hotel separately yourself.

edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
758 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking flights from a third country

Both thomas cook and thomsons require a u.k address to be able to book a package trip with them.

Book yourself most likely cheaper and you will not be tied to dates/accomm

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,978 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking flights from a third country

The OP wanted a package, so I suggested a possible way.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking flights from a third country

Perhaps a package with BA? Can work out cheaper than flight only.

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking flights from a third country

Thank you all for your advice, I managed to find flights and accommodation separately for the same as I would of paid on a package, and have been able to book it all from here.