We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current security measures at Manchester Airport

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Current security measures at Manchester Airport

The Manchester Airport site states that Ipads etc. have to be in hand baggage & have to be removed for going through security for inspection. Included in their list of things to be inspected are irons.

Are there longer delays than usual in security & are the new rules being rigorously enforced?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,707 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

As I understand it these things have to be removed for checks IF they are in hand luggage. If they have batteries then the batteries have to be charged enough to start the item.

manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/S…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

Great link travelbob1:-) FWIW, have been used to same since 9-11 here.. unfortunately! Enjoy!

Level Contributor
4,340 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

Hi Birds29 the situation & Q's have settled lately but at peak times it can build up. This is partly due to the increase in frequency of secondary random searches after x-ray & the passengers still turning up for inspection unprepared (phones turned off, coats/belts on, carrying bottles of coke/water, etc). The key thing in Bob's link is "Do this before you reach the x-ray area". I have a relative who works there & the things they see at times are unbelievable!! Family last week going to Spain had "little Jonny's" toy gun in hand luggage!!!

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

The measures were in place when we flew out in May.

Despite prominent notices throughout the security area the situation was exactly as described by thisisthe1, with hardly anyone prepared (thankfully no Jonny's' gun though)

I had removed my iPad from hand luggage and it was put into the x-ray basket separately but I wasn't asked to switch it on - though it was powered up just in case.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

Does your phone, tablet, camera etc have to be turned on by the time you get to the check point or do you have to demonstrate actually turning it on in front of the inspector? There seems to be some confusion. We fly in 4 weeks time & I was anticipating putting my electronics into a carrier bag before reaching security with the aim of then packing them into my carry on bag once they have been checked.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,707 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

As far as I know, they have to see them working. It's to do with making sure that the battery is actually a battery I think.

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

That link of Bob's to the Manchester Airport security measures, doesn't actually say the iPad, computer etc. has to be switched on if you are flying to Europe - only if you are flying to the USA. Though in the melee that is security at Terminal 1, I'm not sure how the security staff will differentiate.

As I usually travel alone, I will also need 3 arms to remove and carry all the stuff out of my hand luggage before I get to the x ray, to put in a tray ready for inspection! LOL

Talking of security at Manchester Airport, does anyone know what sort of security is in place to stop people from stealing your items from the trays, if your tray reaches the end of the security belt way before you get there - which often happens to me? Who is responsible? I'm guessing not Manchester Airport, probably an insurance claim. I've often wondered.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 09:02
Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

Just to correct my own post, as Trip Advisor won't let me edit it ….. Bob's link just says "capable" of being switched on, if you are flying to the USA, not actually already switched on? Doesn't say anything about flights to Europe though.

merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

Hi

I took my mobile out of my hand lugguage and put it in the tray with my bag so it was visible. It was fine.Wasnt asked anything.

Level Contributor
4,340 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current security measures at Manchester Airport

Turn everything on then there's no delay while you turn it on. They don't want to see you turn it on just that it's ON (sorry for shouting Bob!!)