We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights with Long Wait Connections

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Flights with Long Wait Connections

A friend and I are spending a weekend in Vienna later this year. She is travelling from Manchester and I am travelling from London. I will be able to get a direct flight from London, but there aren't any direct flights from Manchester that fit our schedule. I have however found a Manchester-Vienna flight that goes via London with a 'long connection' (ie overnight stop). If we book this flight, does my friend have to book her luggage all the way through even if she will have to stay in London overnight? The other alternative is to book separate flights (ie one booking Man-London-Man and another booking London-Vienna-London).

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights with Long Wait Connections

So the direct Jet2 flight isn't suitable, nor the KLM flights via AMS or Lufthansa via FRA/MUC?

As for luggage - for a weekend stay why not just have hand luggage

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights with Long Wait Connections

Normally for an overnight connection luggage can be collected. Call the airline to confirm.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights with Long Wait Connections

Have since found an Austrian Airlines flight via Munich which would be suitable.

In answer to your first question though Alanrow, no the Jet2 flight isn't suitable. We want to travel over on Saturday morning, and return on Sunday afternoon. Jet2 only fly to Vienna twice a week in December, on Mondays and Fridays.

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
533 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights with Long Wait Connections

Normally the luggage is sent directly to the final destination, unless the stop is more than 24h. But you can always ask air company to collect it for the overnight and to re-check in the day after.

5. Re: Flights with Long Wait Connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17