We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano Disruptions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Volcano Disruptions

Have a flight to Europe this weekend and am a bit nervous about this news. How likely do you think this is to lead to cancelled flights should the volcanic activity escalate?

http://bbc.com/news/world-europe-28843968

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcano Disruptions

I wouldn't be concerned about safety. IF the volcano were to erupt your flight may be canceled or rerouted, causing a delay. So it would be an inconvenience.

Back in 2010 the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted a second time in mid May. My flight from London to Washington wasn't canceled, but had to fly all the way around Iceland to avoid the ash. It resulted in a 2 hour late arrival and (for me) a missed connection. But that was all.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcano Disruptions

I wouldn't worry about it. Bárðarbunga volcano is covered by the ice of Vatnajökull glacier. I think, if it erupts it is more likely that it will cause a huge flooding than a significant ash cloud.

You can monitor its activity in this blog, if you like: http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcano Disruptions

I'm due to fly LHR-JFK next Friday (29th) so hoping this is just a precaution

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcano Disruptions

Thanks guys. Fingers crossed!

California
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volcano Disruptions

Hope everyone's flights will be all right. But if something does occur it's better to be safe than sorry.

In 2010 our flights to Newcastle via Paris were affected by the Eyjafjallajokull volcano. All we could do was rebook our flights and rearrange our other plans which were critical. Everyone was understandable of the situation as many people were affected.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volcano Disruptions

my sister and kids once flew Melbourne to Auckland to visit me for 3 days...she ended up in Auckland for 10 days because of a volcano eruption.... luckily she had free accommodation ;)

California
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volcano Disruptions

An unexpectedly pleasant side trip to Auckland courtesy of the airline. Sounds like my and my husband's unplanned "holiday" in Amsterdam last year January courtesy of that huge snowstorm.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,589 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volcano Disruptions

Something to consider - but how much remains to be seen. A few years ago, we dodged the bullet, and got out of LHR, just in time. Others on our US board were stuck in London (can you hear the violins?) for two weeks. Members of our UK board picked them up for day-trips, so while not great, was better than being "stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis blues again... "

Flying to LHR in Oct, then CDG to SFO in October, so will watch the seismic reports, hoping for zero activity.

Hunt

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Volcano Disruptions

If you're prevented from returning on your booked date because ash clouds prevent your plane from taking off then the airline has to provide or reimburse accommodation and meals for as long as it takes to get you home, assuming the city you're flying from is actually in the EU/EEA. However it's unlikely this will actually happen - Iceland has frequent volcanic eruptions but only Eyjafjallajokull has caused disruption elsewhere in Europe in recent years.

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Volcano Disruptions

If anyone is on twitter I suggest following @subglacial he is a volcanologist actually working on the scene. His latest prediction is a 50/50 chance of an eruption but if one should occur it shouldn't spread ash internationally