We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

Last Monday, I flew on a Delta flight from Columbus, OH to Detroit Wayne to Paris CDG for a business trip. Upon arrival in Paris, my bag never arrived. The Delta app said (and still says) "bag on plane" for the flight from Detroit to Paris, but then nothing.

I immediately filed a claim with the Air France in CDG (my flight was operated by Delta, but Air France facilitates baggage complaints for Delta in CDG). I arrived home to the US last Friday (4 days after arriving in Paris) with no luggage and my bag has not been found and there are no updates from Delta. When I arrived home, I stopped at the baggage service window in CMH and the lady told me to go ahead and submit a claim for lost luggage because in her experience, it was unlikely I would ever see my bag again.

Over the weekend, I made a list of all of the belongings in my bag, which was fairly easy to do because I travel for business frequently, usually for the same length of time each trip, and have a sort of routine for the types of things I take. I had also packed a number of new clothing items, which made them stand out more clearly in my memory.

Today, I submitted a claim on Delta's website for Out of Pocket expenses during my trip (a whopping 17 EUR) and for Lost Items, which including detailing every item from my list of the items that were packed in my bag. I also submitted the requested documentation, including copies of my checked baggage receipt, my boarding passes, my "delayed" baggage claim receipt from CDG and the receipt for my out of pocket expenses. They did not ask for receipts for the items packed in my bag (reserved the right to request this later). Unfortunately, like most other normal humans, I do not have receipts for my belongings. Even though many of the items were fairly new, I just do not keep receipts beyond the first wear, so the receipts have been tossed. My lost belongings have retail value of a little over $2,000.

I am Delta Platinum medallion status.

What should I expect as next steps?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

Unfortunately the first thing will be to dampen your expectations. Airlines have limited liability for lost bags. Otherwise everyone would say their bag was filled with gold and jewels. You won't get anything like $2k from Delta. Hopefully they will find your bag.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

I am pretty sure that Delta, like most airlines, does not consider a bag lost and unrecoverable until it has been gone for 21 days. You should expect to get a check for your incidentals and to have to wait the 21 days before they will talk to you about the value of your bag and contents.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

Thanks for the feedback. So after the luggage has been missing for 21 days, then what?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

Sorry, posted before I meant to on the previous reply. So after the luggage has been missing for 21 days, then what? Will I be contacted by Delta? Will they ask for receipts, evidence, etc? What should I expect to actually get from them?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

I don't know what will happen, but I wanted to say that if your new items were purchased with a credit card, your cc company may be able to help with copies of receipts. Also, some cc have protection for lost/stolen items (American Express comes to mind), or if you purchased trip insurance, some of your belongings may be covered. This may not apply to you, of course, and probably wouldn't kick in until after the airline has settled their part of your claim, but it may be worth looking into.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

do you not have travel insurance to cover if the bag is not found?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

No travel insurance. I travel internationally about twice a month for business, so I have never purchased personal travel insurance.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

After 21 days tracing your bag will be femmes irretrievably lost, which only happens very rarely, in most cases luggage is found and returned to the owner within a few days. Make sure you let air France know as many contents and a good description of your luggage as well because it may be tag less somewhere. After 21 days you can claim for the bag and the contents. Most airlines will apply depreciation if you can't supply receipts. Check whether you are covered by the Montreal convention, this covers passengers baggage. Good luck!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,640 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

For a person who travels regularly using a credit card like Chase Sapphire Preferred or something similar would be a good idea. It covers trip insurance(cancellations,luggage etc.) and it has no foreign transaction fees and you get double points for all travel(plane,hotel,restaurant) expenses which can be used to get discounts or free tickets.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta Lost Luggage - What Next?

I just lost my baggage 2 days ago with no available status of the bag. I want to ask you if you ever got your bag back and if not, how much were you able to collect from the airlines?