We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss International Air Lines Preferred Zone???

Northwest...
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss International Air Lines Preferred Zone???

Aug 20, 2014, 6:23 PM

Hello. I tried doing a search on this topic but found nothing recent. I am looking for a good flying experience going from the States to Europe, I have done mainly United, KLM, Northwest. I would like to experience something different and generally prefer an Economy Plus type seating, if anyone has experience with Swiss, I would appreciate your impressions, or even if you were impressed with another carrier's Transatlantic service. Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss International Air Lines Preferred Zone???

I wouldn't overthink this too much as you won't find any truly appreciable overall difference. But in general, I would put Delta on top (FYI, Northwest hasn't been around since 2008) and United at bottom. Others will have a different opinion, I'm sure. It is definitely worth the extra dollars for additional legroom in premium economy seating. Cost will vary based on your status with the airline.

Good luck.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss International Air Lines Preferred Zone???

Swiss doesn't offer an enhanced Economy I'm afraid ...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,787 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss International Air Lines Preferred Zone???

I've flown the, in Econ a few times to/from the states and never noticed a difference between them and any of the other major USA or Euro airlines that fly across the Atlantic. Zurich airport is an easy place to do a connection if that matters. But on board service is all about the same. You get more variation from one flight to the next than between airlines.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss International Air Lines Preferred Zone???

All that the Swiss Air "Preferred Zone" gets you over standard economy is that you are further up in the airplane and thus you deplane earlier. No other difference.

So in my opinion, the only time you would spend the additional money for reserving a seat in the Preferred Zon is if you have a short connection.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss International Air Lines Preferred Zone???

Do also be aware of the differences between PREMIUM ECONOMY and something like ECONOMY PLUS (as United calls it; Economy Comfort @ Delta; Main Cabin Extra @ American). Americans in particular tend to lump everything under "premium economy" but this is incorrect.

Premium Economy generally comes with additional perks - depends on the airline, but it could be (on top of larger seats and more legroom) better food, better drink, better inflight entertainment, or other things.

Economy Plus/Comfort/Main Cabin Extra only offer one thing - more legroom (and possibly, but not always, a seat that might be up to 1.5" wider...but often the same width).

6. Re: Swiss International Air Lines Preferred Zone???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2016, 05:16