We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

I just found out that my flight from ORD was cancelled and I have been rebooked on the last flight that American has leaving 70 minutes after I land from England in T5 (my original flight has a nice 2 1/2 hour cusion between flights). 70 minutes seems awfully close for me to clear customs, and transfer terminals. this will all happen on a saturday. do i need to be worried? if I miss my flight, will I be forced to spend the night at the airport?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

70 minutes appears to violate the minimum connection time at ORD, which looks to be 1hr20 to 1hr25 for INTL-DOM. If I were you I'd call your airline (AA or BA?) and try to get an earlier flight from Heathrow.

http://bit.ly/YS85dM

Edited: 24 August 2014, 23:51
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,101 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

You don't have to accept the change. Call them! Before you call look up other possible flights so you know what you can ask for.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,654 posts
1,256 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

I also agree that this is cutting it more than close.

However, if you have GOES (Global Entry), I have found that it cuts down the time at US Immigration, but it can still be busy at ORD - seems that almost everyone is GOES these days, like TSA PreCheck.

Which airline, LHR to ORD, and then American ORD to CMH?

Good luck, and I would do as others have suggested and get a better connection time.

Hunt

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

THANK YOU Riff M & USBusinessTraveler- between the minimum time needed and knowing what the flights before were, i was able to rebook at no extra fee on an earlier flight out of London.

thanks again!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,654 posts
1,256 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

That sounds like a good plan.

Fly safely!

Hunt

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,846 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

< (my original flight has a nice 2 1/2 hour cusion between flights) >

Most people wouldn't call that enough

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

< (my original flight has a nice 2 1/2 hour cusion between flights) > .... Most people wouldn't call that enough

======

For US Citizens 2.5 hours at ORD is ample.

8. Re: 70 minutes to clear customs, collect luggage in O'Hare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:17