We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount business airfare offers

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Discount business airfare offers

Has anyone used sites that offer business airfare at a discount?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,693 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount business airfare offers

Check any very closely. Many (most?) buy FF miles and sell those for upgraded fares. While not illegal, per se, that is against most airlines' T & C's, and if one gets caught, they loose their FF status, the tickets bought via such methods, and the person selling the FF miles to the agency will often get nailed too.

Be very careful.

Hunt

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount business airfare offers

They use bartered frequent flyer miles, which is strictly against the terms and conditions of the airlines. That is, they use your money (minus their commission) to pay someone else to book an award ticket in your name. The acceptance of money for award tickets is against the airlines' T+C's. If the airline finds out, they will cancel the ticket, including possibly at the airport or even mid way through your trip. If you happen to be a member of that airline's frequent flyer program, your account (along with that of the seller) would be shut down and all your miles confiscated.

Does that happen? Yes it does, and the airlines are now cracking down on this with new software to monitor award tickets, and we've seen many of these reported on here. Some brokers claim to have a "guarantee" that if your ticket were canceled they would buy you a new ticket themselves. But even in those cases, the ticket and updated itinerary has turned out to be less than favorable. Which isn't surprising as these brokers are working against the airlines, not with them.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount business airfare offers

This is a topic that comes up fairly regularly on here, nearly always with a similar conclusion. People have this gut feeling that it's too good to be true, and it often is.

I suggest you read some or all of these threads to get an idea of the discussions, rather than us having it all over again...

It doesn't matter which company we talk about - they all do basically the same thing...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7647773…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7558701…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7409051…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7395260…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7364859…

If you are going to go down this route, it is vitally important that you know what you are getting in to, and these threads illustrate that.

If you have a specific question after reading these, please come back and ask it...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount business airfare offers

You haven't specified the site, if it's Expedia, Travelocity et. al. then it's legit, if it's a mileage broker then run very far very quickly.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discount business airfare offers

Another example. And as TBNY says it doesn't matter which company, they use the same business model and so tickets are at risk of being canceled.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7157841…

This thread is still running and has seven examples of tickets being canceled by the airline(s) and people losing as much as $9000

6. Re: Discount business airfare offers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 06:16