We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

Hello everyone,

I'm flying this Saturday to Los Angeles from Melbourne and I was planning on taking my laptop along with me, however my puppy decided that my laptop charger cable would be an excellent chew toy. While it still works as usual, there are exposed wires and I'm worried that I wont be allowed to take it in my carry-on/checked baggage.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm absolutely nervous as this is my first time on a plane and the laptop is needed to do my school work for uni.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
16,678 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

I would replace it ASAP.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 04:04
2. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 12:35
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

It surely can't be that difficult to just buy a new charger cable can it ?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
16,678 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

@travellinallover

Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Keshgrammy

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,730 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

Just get a replacement charger/adaptor. You're going to need one anyway. And the chances are that it'll fail while you're traveling and then you'd be stuck. My adapter broke while on an overseas business trip and I was "stuck" for 1.5 days waiting for Dell to courier me a new one.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 05:13
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

Please buy a new charger for your own safety.

Every time you use this damaged cord you are exposing yourself and those around you to the risk of fire or electrocution.

UK
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

Are these exposed BARE wires, or is it just the outer insulation that got damaged? If they're not bare wires (i.e., if they still have their insulation around them) I wouldn't be quite so worried... but I would still get a replacement.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,821 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

Can't you just put some tape around the wires?? I presume the little doggy chewed the low voltage cables not the mains ones?

9. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 14:06
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with a kind of broken laptop charger??

You should buy another one. Something similar happened to my daughters and it gave up not long after wards. Even if safe, the wires that are exposed get damaged more easily, they get bent etc, and it just stops working. You have a week, you can probably even get one delivered. If you need your laptop, then you should not wait till the charger dies on you.