We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France pilot strike - all of September?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Air France pilot strike - all of September?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I just heard that there is a possibility of all the Air France pilots going on strike for the month of September.

I am booked on Air France from LAX to CDG on Sept 7th for two weeks - rented a flat in Paris.

My question is this - what happens when this occurs? Does Air France rebook you on another airline they are partners with - do you just lose your flight entirely and the money you paid?

I have no experience with this and since this is a hugely important vacation for me - obviously I am worried.

I appreciate any info you can give me. It appears Air France is issuing a statement on August 28th, so until then - nothing is definite.

Malama Pono (take care)

Janet

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

You would probably be rebooked on KLM or Delta since they are all part of Sky Team. They will either have to get you to your destination our give you a refund. It's not like the airline is going bust, so your fare you've paid is safe. But I think it's highly unlikely that they would strike for an entire month.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 04:52
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

Worrisome indeed. My 2 cents:

1) Hopefully you have travel insurance which covers strikes by airline personnel. (Having to cancel/postpone a holiday you're really looking forward to really stinks... but getting something back in what you've invested is still something)

2) The most definitive answer will be from AF itself. Since AF has committed to issue a statement on the 28th of August, best thing to do is wait to see what they have to say... and try not to think about it in the meantime (easier said than done though).

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,194 posts
897 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

I hope that things do not come to that.

While we're flying back from Paris, it's not until Oct, and then on UA, but major strikes can have rather far-reaching effects.

Still, these are volatile times for travel in general, and I am beginning to worry a bit about an entire industry.

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

It looks like it is the same strike that was previously threatened for the whole month of May, but was called off, and one can only hope that something will be worked out this time as well. It seems to me there is very often a French strike looming, whether it is the pilots, ATC, cabin staff, baggage handlers etc, and when it does happen, it doesn't last long for the most part. AF also will try to minimize the impact on their international long haul flights.

I have flown AF at other times when strikes have been threatened, but so far no problems. I have flights booked for early October and for early next year, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I do not have travel insurance, so that isn't something I can count on if the worst happens.

I would not have an issue flying either Delta or KLM - even if we had to fly into Heathrow and take Eurostar to Paris....that would be an option also.

As has been said, nothing to do but wait for the statement on the 28th......and worry! I'm afraid there is pretty much no way I am not going to worry about my longed for trip to not be cancelled or made into a confusion of re-booking (also the flat).......(sigh).

I really like Air France and am aware of the possibility of strikes - but you never think it is going to happen to you.....hopefully that will still hold.

Malama Pono (take care)

Janet

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

That is a long journey to do with no travel insurance, what happens if you have an accident and need medical treatment?

Deb

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,428 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

The French, as a nation, use the threat of strike action frequently and far,far more than any other nation I know.

Invariably the strike is called off after a few days chaos but with the current political situation in France ( all ministers sacked) who knows.

The positive thing about the chaos in French politics is that the € has nosedived so you will get many more for your $

hope all ends happily

SS

ps there is a saying in the UK " summer holidays are here so the French will be announcing strike action"

Edited: 26 August 2014, 10:28
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well I have never purchased travel insurance - but had a medical issue come up in 2011 in Paris that required me to go to the hospital - my current medical insurance covered all if it.

I can only hope that my (definitely long haul) flights will not be affected - obviously I, as well as so many other people certainly. have been dreaming and counting down the days until Paris - fingers and toes crossed.

Malama Pono, (take care)

Janet

California
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

Nowadays especially travel insurance is really a good thing to consider.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air France pilot strike - all of September?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Good advice - but moot at this point unfortunately.

I am anxious to get back to Paris - my husband was just diagnosed with early stages Parkinson's Disease and this will be a trip to enjoy since he is very little affected by the disease at this point. Many reasons why this trip is special - but of course everyone has a special trip when they go to Paris - and I am just one of many.

Trying to not obsess over this - not being very successful!

Malama Pono (take care)

Janet