We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving the airport while on transit

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving the airport while on transit

Hi, I have booked a SIN to CHC ticket, but with a transit at Sydney for 12 hours. I have been told 2 versions.

1. By the travel agent that I will not be able to leave the airport because it is a transit flight. In order to leave the airport, I will need to book the ticket as a stop-over (which incurs additional cost).

2. By a British Airways staff (as the ticket is booked on a BA flight) that I can leave the airport as long as I claim my luggage at Sydney, so upon check in at SIN, I will need to inform the check-in staff.

Can anyone advise which version is the accurate one?

Thanks in advance.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving the airport while on transit

Hi

you should be able to leave the airport if you have the proper visa to enter.country

you shouldn't have to pick up your bags and deal with them as they are checked all the way through.

I have left the airport before when I was in transit thru ICN and had a long layover didn't touch my bags.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving the airport while on transit

Both are wrong but it depends on how you phrased the question.

You can leave the airport if you (a) have any required visa, and (b) have sufficient time.

Even if you do need to collect your bags you can leave them in left luggage at the airport.

Do make sure you leave enough time to get back in time for your connecting flight. You should be back at least 2 hours before, preferably more. And do leave time for transport delays, etc.

Generally, less than 24 hrs is a transfer, more than 24 hrs is a stopover, internationally at least.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,409 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving the airport while on transit

Both are wrong.

Provided you have an Australian visa (if you need one), you can leave the airport while in transit and with your luggage checked through to Christchurch.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving the airport while on transit

To leave the airport you will need a transit visa.

Have a look at this site: www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/Find-a-visa.aspx

The transit visa is free of charge and allows to to stay upto 72 hours, however it requires some paperwork. Many people find it easier to simply apply for a three month visitor visa online. Depending on the passport you hold this may cost $20 or be free.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 12:45
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving the airport while on transit

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I will be applying for a transit visa. With the flight arriving at 7am and the next leg of the flight departing at 7pm, I had thought that I could spend a few hours in the city. So I was surprised when the travel agent told me I will not be able to leave the airport.

Now I feel much better!

Thanks!

6. Re: Leaving the airport while on transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 06:16