We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racism on Emirates

Manama, Al Manamah...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Racism on Emirates

I flew from Newcastle airport via Emirates to Bahrain. We were three ladies Arabs Muslims, when a staff member with the coordination of Emirates ground crew stopped us upon boarding the plane and asked us to weigh our small slim personal women bag. They charged us and degraded us at airport. Rest assure that all other women boarding this flight were boarding with their hand bag and their personal women bag! Why us! It's an act of racism.

For the benefit of doubt, Emirates authorities in dubai airport were shocked to hear this as I showed my personal bag. They advised me to complain, but of course with this airline they would be happy to receive your money and reservations, ignoring any complain against them. The emirates ground crew was a Chinese lady who approved the whole process, and the staff member was british who degraded us in a miserable way. I travel a lot with this airline carrying the same style of bags without any one stopping us, except this time. Pathetic !

Australia
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Racism on Emirates

How exactly was this racist? What do you mean they charged and degraded you? They made you check your bag because it was too heavy/oversized?

Have you complained to the airline?

I'm unsure of what the alleged nationality of the ground crew/staff has to do with your story.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Racism on Emirates

If you personal bag was really "small, slim" how come they charged you?

Sounds to me like you didn't like being charged for bringing on a bag that broke the rules/T&Cs in some way, and are now playing the victim/race card because you did not like the rules being applied to you.

May be wrong, so please post details of the charge - what was it for? Was your "slim" bag an extra bag over the allowance? A heavy bag?

Your story does not ring true, sounds like you didn't get your way and didn't like that

And how is it degrading to be charged? If you were liable for a charge then pay it, and move on.

If you weren't liable, then why didn't you say things like "But it's below the weight limit" or "But it's not a second bag" etc

Edited: 27 August 2014, 11:53
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Racism on Emirates

Racism is abhorrent. Someone playing the race card when it is clearly not appropriate is as bad.

Your mere mention of a British person and a Chinese lady says it all. Who is the racist here?

OP voted down. We don't need this kind of nonsense post on here.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 11:56
London, England
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Racism on Emirates

Ryanair must degrade a lot of passengers on their flights.

if your hand luggage didn't conform to the airlines regulations it has nothing at all to do with degradation or racism.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Racism on Emirates

Regardless of the fact that you have travelled with this bag previously did it comply with the airline's published limits for cabin baggage.

The fact that you claim it was racist but refer to other nationalities makes me wonder.

England, United...
Level Contributor
13,104 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Racism on Emirates

I would be very wary indeed about alleging " racism" by Emirates staff.

It sounds to me that the OP possibly tried to knowingly exceed the cabin baggage allowance and was therefore challenged on it.

This does not constitute racism, regardless of a passenger's ethnicity or faith tradition.

The cabin baggage regulations are for the benefit, safety and comfort of ALL passengers, and frankly, I would be amazed if ground staff at Newcastle picked the OP out for discriminatory treatment on the grounds of her race or faith.

In fact, I am having some difficulty in accepting this allegation at all.

I have flown Emirates many times, and Gulf Air, and I have never been treated with anything other than fairness, courtesy and respect.

If the allegations in the OP are indeed true, I have no doubt there is far more to this than meets the eye.