We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking medicines on the plane

scotland
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
taking medicines on the plane

hi does anyone no if you are allowed to take head ache pills onto the plane ??

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking medicines on the plane

I believe it's still only prescription meds allowed onboard....for anything over-the-counter like headache, the crew normally has on hand and will usually supply should you ask/need!....hopefully, you won't!....Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking medicines on the plane

I took a box of paracetemol with me on my flights, no problems at all!

London, United...
Level Contributor
936 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taking medicines on the plane

The rule when I flew ( Aug 11th) was that you could take medication for the flight only. One woman who had all her tablets sorted into a pill dispenser holding a month's supply had to wait while it was checked by a medical officer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taking medicines on the plane

I flew out of Heathrow on Thurs, Aug 24, had no problems with taking a whole box of pararetemol in my hand luggage. They relaxed a few things after that first week.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taking medicines on the plane

I have never heard of any restrictions on over-the-counter medications (except now no more than 4 oz. of liquid medication in hand luggage and must be prescription, not something like Nyquil) and have always carried aspirin,ibuprofen and sudafed with me. I carry them all mixed up in a little container, but that's bad practice.

Technically it's illegal to carry any medication unlabeled, whether prescription or non-prescription. The likelihood is no one would say anything, but someone could make trouble for you if they were in a mood to do so and saw your unlabeled medications. You could always obtain some of those travel sized packages of over-the-counter meds to carry with you. If it's a prescription medication it should stay in the container it's dispensed to you in. If it's an overly large bottle, you can ask the pharmacy to divide the medication into several smaller containers, each would be labeled fully but would only have x amount of the drug. So if your full prescription was for 90 pills they'd normally label each bottle 30/90 quantity.

Also, there are different legal situations in each country. In the US we are required to have prescriptions for any medication that contains codeine. So if you obtain codeine containing medication in the UK, Canada, and other countries, you would want to be very circumspect about how much you have and where you put it. Lots of US citizens buy Tylenol #1, 2 2 2, Panadol Ultra, etc.) in other countries and sneak them back into the US. Hint: If you asked the pharmacist for it and it's obtained behind-the-counter then it has a good chance of requiring a prescription in the US. I believe technically we are allowed to bring in about 50 tablets of these medications.

Another rule of thumb is to only carry enough for personal use and the amount that would be normally used during the time period you're travelling for. If you had a necessity for medications with high abuse potential it's also a good idea to carry a letter from your physician stating you are under that physician's care for a medical condition requiring the medications you are taking, dosages, and amounts (e.g., Valium 5 mg every 8 hours).

Also, I don't know about flight attendants providing medications. That would be a huge legal liability for anyone, and if I were the President of an airline I damned sure wouldn't allow my staff to provide medications to anyone. I might have them for sale so that people who needed something could pay for it and thereby put it into a different legal realm altogether, but it would be an SOP that no staff person is to ever give a customer any medication.

Most of the shops in the airports carry small amounts of medications for travellers, but it is extremely expensive, so I'd only buy it there if I forgot to put my usual stash in my purse.

6. Re: taking medicines on the plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 18:16