We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No to Air Tran!!!

California
2 posts
Save Topic
No to Air Tran!!!

My husband, three year old daughter, and I were flying back home to California after visiting family in North Carolina. Our connecting flight was in Atlanta, Georgia. We were delayed for almost four hours while having to sit on the aircraft. They did not have the air on, they refused my daughter bathroom services because we were on an "active flight line", and the attendants were very rude. In order to get my attention to hand me my cup of ice and coke, the flight attendant vigorously shook the cup of ice in my face without saying a word. When I took it from him, he just rolled his eyes and kept walking. The airline did not offer any special services for our inconvenience. The only thing offered on this four and a half hour flight (after being delayed 4 hours) was a very small bag of pretzels. Seriously worst experience flying I have ever had. Never again.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,447 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

What was the reason given for the ground hold?

Was there weather at ATL, or perhaps weather at your destination airport in CA?

Was there perhaps a mechanical issue with the plane? One can often see maintenance personnel in and out of the plane, though the cockpit will normally inform either the pax, or the FA's, to alert the pax.

Being on an active runway is vastly different than being at the gate on hold.

OTOH, if you were in no way informed of the issue, that would indicate poor communication with the pax, IMHO.

More detail might shed some light on the issue?

Hunt

California
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

We boarded the plane and sat there for an hour while people continued to board every few minutes. We were not informed of any delays or problems. Once the plane backed out, we "drove" around the tarmac for awhile. No one said anything to us, the captains did not inform us of anything, and the flight attendants were no where to be seen until I walked my daughter to the front for the restroom. At that point we were told to sit down because we were on an active flight line. Honestly, I could have overlooked the inconvenience of all that IF the flight attendants weren't so absent and rude throughout the flight. I suppose that is my biggest complaint.

3. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 08:35
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

Which date and destination (and flight number)? I'm trying to locate the flight using the various tracking sites. Then we can see the exact timings and whether the airline violated federal law regarding tarmac delay provisions.

nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tarmac-delays-ai…

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,729 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

USBusinessTraveller - yes I would love to see that data !

I'm guessing it might not have been as bad as it seems.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
438 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

There you go folks.

Confronted with the fact that some members actually have the know how to verify their story... we'll probably never hear from the OP again.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,729 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

Nurikabe - kind was the point of my post too.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

Not quite sure why anyone should be suspicious. I'm asking for the data to see if the airline can be reported to the DOT. They do have to provide refreshments and allow for toilet use during long tarmac delays. But you need to know the precise timing to know whether to complain.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,447 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

<<Honestly, I could have overlooked the inconvenience of all that IF the flight attendants weren't so absent and rude throughout the flight.>>

Again, and depending on several factors, they might have been buckled in, awaiting takeoff. However, good communication from the crew - either the cockpit, or FA's, would have been useful.

ATL is a very, very busy airport, and if a flight misses its allocated takeoff slot, then it's up to ATC (both air and ground) to coordinate, and fit it into an available slot, without completely disrupting other flights. Once away from the gate, the flight will likely be holding and waiting, at a point they can jump into the line. The crew might not be informed all along the way, but are usually given some idea, and should communicate that to the pax.

We recently had to taxi to a place on a live runway at IAD, so that the crew could run up the engines to full takeoff power, and test whether it was only a faulty light, or something else. Turned out to be the light, but glad that it WAS tested on the ground. We then had to wait for a new slot to come open. Probably 45 mins. away from the gate, before take off. UA sent us 7500 extra miles for that.

At SFO, we sat for about 40 mins. between 28L & 28R, while weights were recalculated, as extra pax were boarded at the last min, and some calculations were wrong. Sounds a bit like what you might have also encountered. The pilot kept us informed of every step in the process, but warned us that we might have to return to the gate to have the luggage redistributed. Luckily, that did not happen.

In both recent cases, we all had to stay seated, and the FA's belted in. However, each was MUCH shorter than what you encountered, and we were all updated every few minutes - that can make a BIG difference.

Hope that USBTraveller can get some info on your flight, if for no other reason than to make you feel a bit better about aspects of your situation.

Good luck,

Hunt

10. Re: No to Air Tran!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:17