We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

A friend of mine recently applied for Global Entry based on my recommendation, but he decided to use a company that offers to "process" the application for a fee of $130, which is on top of the $100 that the CBP charges for GE. I think the company popped up first on his Google search, so he apparently assumed that this was the official portal for the Global Entry application process. This service is not required and cannot expedite your application through the CBP system nor guarantee you an immmediate appointment-you can apply yourself on the CBP web site and pay the fee directly to them after you fill out the online form, then once you receive your conditional approval, you can search the appointment calendar and make your own appointment.

To repeat-you DO NOT need to pay for anyone to "process" your GE application - there is no expedited service similar to that for passports offered by the CBP (at least at this time), so all these companies can do for you is fill out the form for you and set up the face-to-face interview with the CBP (which is the last step before final approval). There are numerous blogs about the application itself, as well as the overall process, so if one reads these beforehand, you will be adequately prepared to do this yourself.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

Wow...Applying for Global Entry involves giving out many, many personal details. Now your friend has given those details to some unknown likely scammy website operator. Who knows what they will or could do with that personal information.

Very careless of your friend not to do a little more due diligence, particularly in this age of fraud and identity theft concerns.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,556 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

The classic click on a link at the top and miss the "Ad" designator.

The same thing holds for people applying for ESTAs. There are a lot of for profit companies with websites that look just like the official US DHS site but which aren't.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

MzpleG, I'm trying not to think about the personal info part, but that is actually a bigger concern than paying $130 for essentially nothing in return. I already advised him to consider a freeze on his credit report and to regularly monitor all of his accounts for fraudlent charges. If it were me, I'd probbly be changing all of my account passwords as well and having a conversation with my bank regarding the possibility of frand for those accounts. BTW, I decided not to post the name of the company here partly because I believe there are several others that offer this "service", and I thought a general warning was more appropriate and effective. This company also offers expedited passport services, so they may be legitimate since that can be done by a third party, but I agree with you that any company one considers for a service like these needs to be properly vetted first.

Hopefully this thread will prevent at least one or two others from repeating the same mistake.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 18:40
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

USBusinessTraveler, I'm convinced that is exactly what happened-he is not very computer savvy to begin with, so I believe he mistook the "official" web site he visited with the actual CBP web site. He is sick over this whole situation, so I am trying to help him while not making him feel worse than he already does. Fortunately his info was submitted to the CBP site already, and he was provided his username and password, so I will be helping him through the rest of the process myself to make sure it gets done correctly and in a timely manner.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

For others considering applying for Global Entry (and wanting to avoid the same mistake), this is the official CBP webpage to initiate an application, as well as to log into an existing account and manage one's account, appointment, etc:

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

great link thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

There are similar for passports also.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37,486 posts
950 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

I had not heard of any "handling service" for GE.

When the program started, UA notified us, with the URL - https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes , and even paid the US $100 fee. Took a bit to make the appointments, and the office at PHX was small, so dates were pretty far in the future, but we both made it through.

Guess there are folk who see an opportunity to make money and just jump onto it.

Thanks for the H/U,

Hunt

9. Re: Global Entry Application "Processing" Service Not Required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 06:17