We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson seat allocation

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson seat allocation

Hi, we're booked to go to turkey with thomson package holidays on the 11th Sept. We are a family of three, two adults and three year old. Think it's ridiculous that they now expect us to pay nearly £50 to make sure we sit together!! Has anyone had a similar experience, thinking of taking a chance and not paying.. Surely they will accommodate the fact we are a family of three and need to be sitting together!! After all it beats me the fact I have to pay the same price for a 12 kilo toddler as the guy who may be sittin next to me who weighs 10 times that!! When they're so strict with baggage weights etc!!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,799 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson seat allocation

"Surely they will accommodate the fact we are a family of three and need to be sitting together!!" - You surely know the fees before you booked, you might get 1 adult with the toddler and the other at the opposite end of the plane.

"After all it beats me the fact I have to pay the same price for a 12 kilo toddler as the guy who may be sittin next to me who weighs 10 times that!! " - Apart from those who have to buy 2 seats passenger weight has nothing to do with ticket prices

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,432 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson seat allocation

Everyone that books has the same choice, and you know that before you book. It's an added extra to be factored into the overall price. You don't pay the same price for a child as an adult when you book a package holiday. Pay to sit together, or don't pay and take a chance. It's you responsibility to ensure you're sat with your child. Lot's of people need/want to be together and have to pay. It's not just people with children. You may find you get one adult and the child together, but the other adult may be sitting separately, as there is no need to two adults to be seated with one child.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson seat allocation

This has been discussed on here lots of times, you have booked a family package holiday to a family destination, just outside the school holidays, a time when people with preschool children like to take their holidays. Still warm weather but much cheaper.

Now what about all the people who have booked and paid for their seats so they can sit with their kids, or partners, or carers, or friends. Should they be made to move because you chose not to reserve in advance? No I think not.

Jackie

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson seat allocation

"Surely they will accommodate the fact we are a family of three and need to be sitting together!!" - You surely know the fees before you booked, you might get 1 adult with the toddler and the other at the opposite end of the plane.

* having never been with thomsons, always been with Thomas Cook, wasn't aware of this!

"After all it beats me the fact I have to pay the same price for a 12 kilo toddler as the guy who may be sittin next to me who weighs 10 times that!! " - Apart from those who have to buy 2 seats passenger weight has nothing to do with ticket prices

* yes I am aware it has nothing to do with ticket prices but obviously weight is relevant in airline travel..

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson seat allocation

>>. Surely they will accommodate the fact we are a family of three and need to be sitting together<<

Why do you need to be sitting together please? Only one of you needs to be with your child. The other one can. Happily sit in the middle seat at the other end of the plane in between the two seriously overweight heavy smokers. Lol. If you don't want to pay and you want the airline to accommodate you then that's what's going to happen. One sits with the child, in not great seats and one sits in a single seat no one else wanted to pay to buy.

So don't pay. enjoy, I'm sure it will be worth the saving.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,925 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson seat allocation

" having never been with thomsons, always been with Thomas Cook, wasn't aware of this!"

___

But it tells you at the time of booking.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
16,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson seat allocation

I would pay the £50 if you all want to sit together otherwise you run the risk of being split up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson seat allocation

>!* yes I am aware it has nothing to do with ticket prices but obviously weight is relevant in airline travel..<<

I think you will find you can't check your child into the hold, so it's not relevant to seat selection charges.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson seat allocation

Yep, point taken!!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,432 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson seat allocation

It's exactly the same with Thomas Cook, and has been for a few years.