We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

Singapore, null...
1 post
Save Topic
Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

Hello Everyone,

I recently encountered a perplexing incident with booking flights through Skyscanner (Bravofly)

My friends and I were planning a trip from Singapore to Bali and we both used skyscanner to browse the available tickets at the same time using the skyscanner apps phones. Turns out, the prices came out completely different. The prices on my friends app came out to be 40 dollars cheaper than the price that came out from my phone's app.

I was searching for flights before this in airline websites like tiger airways and jetstar.

This led me to believe that these non-airline websites actually tracked our search patterns and priced their flights accordingly.

What are your thoughts on this?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

The prices that companies like Bravofly or search engines like sky scanner offer you aren't necessarily available. Once you try to book you'll find that price isn't there any more. Often times they'll even take your money and then a day or so later say that fare isn't available any more and they want more money. And your initial money is held for a week or so until a credit card hold expires.

Search on here in Bravofly then you'll book direct with an airline unless Russian roulette is one of your hobbies.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

Many people are perplexed by Bravofly.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

"This led me to believe that these non-airline websites actually tracked our search patterns and priced their flights accordingly."

=====

That's the problem when you're using Skyscanner and fares from third party bookers. Especially the likes of Bravofly, eDreams, Opodo and CheapoAir that frequently display out of date fares.

This is why you shouldn't believe any fares from shonky third parties. Use Skyscanner to find schedules and possible fares and then book directly with the airline, which does have live fares.

A better independent search engine is http://matrix.itasoftware.com because it has the same search capability as Skyscanner but doesn't have those tempting links to third parties and their imaginary "cheap" fares.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 09:02
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,845 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

Use Skyscanner to get a rough idea of prices, airlines, times etc, & then look/book direct with the airline

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

>>>This led me to believe that these non-airline websites actually tracked our search patterns and priced their flights accordingly<<<

What you're suggesting is price differentiation, which is hard enough for a single company to do under a near perfect monopoly with a singular product, let alone a bunch of yahoo businesses to put into practice. It's even harder for products with non static pricing, and basically impossible to do when the pricing is controlled by the airline - the non airline sites would need to track/monitor both the airline and consumer and adjust accordingly simultaneously.

We aren't talking about the cost of one particular model of toaster for one chain here, we are talking about thousands of different products with countless variables.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
861 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

If you have searched similar fares recently, clear cookies and your cache on your device and try again.

Cookies track your search history and can lead to an inaccurate search result. You may well be surprised with the result - generally cheaper than your most recent search result.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

you may well be surprised with the result

====

Whenever ive tried this prices are pretty much always the same. And sometimes lower. And sometimes higher. Of course those who believe the theory will jump on the occasions its higher as proof and disregard the times its not higher.

In any case a theory about raising prices makes no sense for third parties whose clientelle only care about lowest shown price..

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

Surely cookies can only be read by the website which created it, or related websites which form a "domain"? It's possible that one received the last seats available for the party size in one price bucket, while the other got the price from the next higher bucket.

Not to mention that, while the OP may think of it as concurrent access, in server times the gaps between their packets are huge - long enough for hundreds of others around the world to get prices for the same flight.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
985 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

This happened to us when we were booking flights directly through Southwest! My son and I each had our laptops scanning pricing and I suggested a certain flight. Mine showed $83, his showed $106. He closed out and went back in a few times and it did end up going down to $83 - but an hour later when my other son tried to book it was back up to $106. I think the flight may have been filling up?

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Same Flight Different Prices when accessed concurrently

This leads me to believe your friends device was faster then yours and they got the cheap seats.

There are only so many seats available at the lower price it's first come first serve

This they're tracking me is much more paranoia then fact.