We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

islay
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Topic
1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

Hi guys

I am travelling Edinburgh- Newark-Las vegas with United airlines the whole way through.

We arrive into Newark terminal B at 12.05PM, and depart for Vegas out of terminal C at 1.50PM.

Will this be enough time to get luggage, clear immigration & passport control, drop off luggage with United desk and get to terminal C to catch the connection?

Booked through expedia so surely they wouldn't offer the flight combination that we selected if it wasn't possible, or will we be running through the airport to connect ?

Any help would be great

cheers

Alloa, United...
Level Contributor
948 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

We are doing those flights with United on Monday, have 3 hours connection time and I am hoping we have enough time (like you we booked with Expedia) , I am sure folk who have done it recently will be better placed to advise you but I think it will be tight if you have any sort of delay.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,087 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

3 hours would be tight for anyone without a US passport

Still it is the problem of the airline to sort things out - but that could take some time

BUT why book through a third party in the first place

Alloa, United...
Level Contributor
948 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

Expedia was around £700 cheaper for flight/hotel package , I already had hotel booked and wanted to book direct with the airline but could not pass up such a large saving .

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,876 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

To the OP, 1 hour and 45 minutes is cutting it a little close at EWR, even for me (US citizen). Are all the flights on a single United ticket - even if purchased through Expedia? If so, United should reaccommodate you in the event you miss your connection. For EWR, I personally like around 2 hours and 30 minutes. When is the flight?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,809 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

I'd say it is a bit tight even for a USA citizen like me who only travels with carryon luggage! I have made this sort of connection with time to spare but I

try to pick seats close to the front of the aircraft and take only carry on which will allow me to skip the wait for luggage to go through customs.

Airlines and 3rd party agencies sell tickets with "legal" connection times that are often too short for the reality of actual real time needed in airports!

Edited: 30 August 2014, 14:32
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
1,136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

As a Canadian sometimes I can get in the American line, but without that I have trouble with such a short connection. I have found 3rd part sites and some agents have no idea how long it takes for non Americans to clear customs immigration.

If u miss connection who is responsible, united or who u booked with? Would be good to know ahead of time?

FYI it is very tight your luggage will get on the flight even if u do. Be sure to take some clothes in your carry on.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,617 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

If on one ticket, and you are comfortable possibly missing a day in Las Vegas, just in case, then go for it. UA, as has been stated, will get you there, but perhaps not immediately, depending on both the flights to LAS and available seats on those flights.

For US connections from international, even with a GOES card, I allow 3 hours minimum. If connecting elsewhere on international, I bump that up to 4 hours.

If I do make connections easily (it HAS happened), then I just chill for a couple of hours with some wine.

EWR is not the worst USA point-of-entry airport, but especially with the terminal change, I would not bank on a 1:30 hr. connection, as flights can be delayed.

Good luck,

Hunt

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

You left out one aspect that may take some time... you have to re-clear security.

1:45 is a bit tight. Without waiting in any line... anyplace, the fastest I've been able to get to the next gate has been 30 minutes from the time, and I regularly book connections of less than an hour I stepped off of the incoming aircraft. Add four lines (Immigration, Customs, bag drop - it isn't a United desk drop, and security) plus plane exit time, walk to immigration, wait for your bags, walk to security, and walk to gate to be there at least 20 minutes prior to departure, it may get a bit tight.

Don't waste time in the walk. Pass as many people as you can, and review the airport terminal maps before you get off the plane.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 17:08
islay
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

Yeas all flights are with United, I checked their website and they have a lot of flights to vegas a few hours later so if the connection time is not enough then there is the option of getting put on one of the later flights hopefully.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
1,136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 hour 45 minute layover- enough time for connection?

Get your show tickets for the following day.