We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles 2014

Melton Mowbray
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles 2014

Does anyone know how much flights were per person in July this year? is it worth booking in advance or better to book a couple of weeks before in terms of price? thanks.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,569 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles 2014

What people paid this July is irrelevant. There is no flat fare and everyone will have paid different.

When booking once you see a price you like then book and don't look at fares again.

2. Re: Los Angeles 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 18:05
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,210 posts
1,636 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles 2014

If you booked when Norwegian airlines had a special offer on in the autumn of last year, you could had got return flights for about £400. However flights prices hovered about £700 to £1000, I know because I looked for flights for LA since last autumn and I finally booked in late April but to direct flights to Vegas from Manchester in July.

You will not get a better price if you leave it too late.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles 2014

I paid around £2100 for LHR-LAX return towards the end of July with BA.

Does that help?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,569 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles 2014

How's it helpful to you knowing if someone paid say £800 this July?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,073 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles 2014

Hi,

It is actually helpful to know prices paid in the past. It helps you to know if the price you see today is typical or if it is a "sale" price or whatever. I know for example that prices from the USA to Europe in September are fantastic buys if they are way under $1,000.

If I see one that low I'd jump on it no matter how far out.

IF the price I see is waaaay over $1,000 then I can wait and watch. for a while to see what is happening. Once the price gets close to $1,000 and it is 3months out or less then I must decide to buy then and there.

In general prices to/from Europe in summer are quite high! You have to decide what you are willing to pay or decide to go at a different time of year. You can also try other airports instead of LAX to see if they are less. Sometimes folks fly into Las Vegas or Phoenix and then drive or take an internal flight to LA.

7. Re: Los Angeles 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 18:05
Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Angeles 2014

Hi

I have never seen a "cheap" flight in July. We usually travel May/June so I dont particually watch July prices but know they are the most expensive. Anything under £800 has got to be reasonable that time of year (in economy)

From past experience I would try to get a flight with Air New Zealand, they imo have the best service London to LAX, Sign up on their website for emails. They will send you sales, when they have them.

Clive

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,628 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Angeles 2014

"I wanted to know whether to book way in advance or wait nearer the time."

My own experience is that fares are high when flights are first released as your desire to buy is greater than the airlines need to sell. They can also be expensive near departure date as supply reduces.

I'd also add that comparing what others paid in previous years may not be that helpful - you could find a range of prices from say £700 to £1700 depending on when they bought for the same seat in economy - when I've been tracking prices for UK to USA flights I've seen significant swings in price as tickets sell, lower priced fare buckets sell out as well as adjustments made by the airlines revenue management team.

London, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Angeles 2014

Hello

I seem to remember London to LAX flights were starting at around £800 and going up to around £1,100 for July, hence why I booked for November. But now am going to buy flights in the BA/ Virgin flight sales for Xmas instead. Under £500!

Booking 3 months in advance and not in peak season is of course generally advisable but if you have some flexibility, then waiting for flight sales is good. They are on until 26th September.