We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

checked bags

Los Alamitos...
2 posts
Save Topic
checked bags

Just want to know how strict are they with the size of baggages on checked bags. We have two large suitcases with wheels which are just over the limit of 62" or 65" including wheels total dimensions. Do they include the wheels when they measure the bags?

Thanks

dhfishrman@aol.com

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: checked bags

Hi. What airline? Most airlines provide info on their websites, including whether or not they include wheels.

You may not be caught. But it would be disasterous if you were. So personally I would not break any rules.

Abs :)

Edited: 31 August 2014, 20:37
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: checked bags

Read the airline's website. Comply with rules. Happy chappies all round, especially your friendly local luggage stockist.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,386 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: checked bags

You might want to delete your post and repost without your email address to avoid spam. You should also say what airline you are flying.

Los Alamitos...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: checked bags

The airline could be Delta or KLM. It is a international flight

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,821 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: checked bags

All airlines include wheels and handles when measuring luggage.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37,486 posts
950 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: checked bags

<<All airlines include wheels and handles when measuring luggage.>>

This is true, but unfortunately not all luggage mfgrs. do, so one must either find a supplier, which does, or take a tape measure with them, when buying.

Hunt

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,386 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: checked bags

I did have my checked bag measured once on a flight. It was a while ago (back when Northwest still existed), but I don't know that I've flown with that bag since. It met the requirements but the check in person thought it looked big. So I'd expect that if your bag looks big (which it probably will if it's too big) then they may measure it. Now I think that bag is too big to fly with and got rid of it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,821 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: checked bags

Bill:

Much of the luggage on sale in Australia as "carry-on" does not meet airline requirements. We always take a tape measure with us when looking for a new carry-on.

Nick

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: checked bags

If you think about it, the airline doesn't have these rules just to annoy the passengers, their objective is to be able to fit the maximum amount of baggage into the space available on the plane. Any dimensions they give are always going to be related to how much space the bag will occupy, and the wheels occupy space!

10. Re: checked bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:16