We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happens if I miss my connection flight?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
What happens if I miss my connection flight?

I'm flying from Oslo to Tel Aviv through Belgium in mid October, but I'm starting to freak out about not making my flight to Tel Aviv. From Oslo I'll be flying with Brussels Airline that will be in Brussels at 8:40 am and later I have a flight with El Al that departs at 11:05. I didn't book the flights separately.

Last time I flew that way I got both of my boarding passes in Oslo and I didn't have to check in my luggage in Brussels. Last time my flight arrived in Belgium at 8:55 and my second flight departed at 12:15.

This time I'm nervous that I won't make my flight to Tel Aviv since I have to go through a special security check at El Al counter which everyone who doesn't have a Israeli passport have to, and I have also to go through the airport security check.What happens if I miss my connection flight if my first flight was delayed?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

You should be fine, bxls is quite efficient. However if something happens, as it's one ticket, the airline has a responsibility to put you on the next flight with available seats and provide duty of care ie hotel and or food drink, depending on how long it takes,

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

Thanks! I'm just going to bring my laptop, passport, wallet and a book in my carry on, and I'm going bring a warm sweater instead of a jacket so I don't have take it off, sneakers that is easy to put on and no belt. And of course no coins in my wallet. I was stopped at the airport security check in Amsterdam and Tel Aviv because I had too much coins in my wallet. When I was flying out from Ben Gurion Airport one time I had empty my wallet for coins. I can also ask people politely if I can go in front of them so if time is running short.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 12:05
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

I would hold onto the if it is one ticket the airlines are responsible. BUT, would not count on people letting you in front of them, no matter how politely you ask. Many people try to get to the airport with sufficient time to comfortably clear security and then just chill until their flight is called. If they are moving backwards in line ( which is what your getting ahead of them means) then they are risking that THEY will miss THEIR flight or mess up THEIR comfort zone. It is not, IMO, fair to expect others to put your needs over their own. -- sorry if the comment is harsh.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

I have asked people before and they all had told me that I could step in front of them.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,394 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

I don't think that was the point.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

Better attract attention of the security staff and ask them to put you in front. So ask guidance from hostess and then behave accordingly.

Was told to do so some time ago and glad I did, because a US guy in the row was about to punch me.

When I asked security guy to intervene, it was official, so it was ok.

some people are so nice...

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

bvw--I guess I am not nice. However, I need ( mentally and physically) to finish the whole process and be at my gate. I emotionally can not move back. It is frustrating and upsetting. ONly once I am at the gate ( or in the business lounge) can I relax. My needs are accommodated by not letting you cut the line--sorry!

My needs are also tainted by an experience when someone screamed and yelled his way ahead of me on the car rental return line. Company personnel told me that he HAD to cut and he HAD to take the last seat in the shuttle because he would miss his plane. They begrudgingly drove me to the terminal in my rental after I refused to wait for the shuttle to fill--because I had come early for a reason. Imagine the total embarrassment when Mr. I am going to miss my plane, was on my flight--he put his head down as he came up the aisle, but I calmly said to him, " I guess you missed your flight after all and ended up on this one. --knowing full well there was NO earlier flight to miss!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

I'm with RGL - don't try and push your way in front of me.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
989 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

Same thing happened to me the last time I flew...security pushed a family ahead of us at the Las Vegas airport.....LONG LINE! We saw this family when we got to our gate - and they did just catch their flight.

I had thought that they arrived late to the airport, but could they have been trying to catch a connecting flight? Would they have been outside of security if that was the case?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What happens if I miss my connection flight?

The gate El Al uses is right after security check and if I was going on a flight that was leaving in two or three hours I would had let a person in front of me if he was running late. When I was flying to Scotland from Oslo there was a girl that was running late and my flight was leaving in two hours, I turned around and told her that she could go in front of me. She made big eyes at first and then she thanked me several times. Besides I'm not brining a lot of stuff in my carry on. Only a book, laptop, my wallet and my phone, and I usually not wear belts or shoes that would require me to take them off.

Bvw: Thanks! I'll remember to ask the security staff but I don't think that there will be a lot of people on Tuesday morning in mid October but you never now, and I remember it went very fast last time. I'm planning to sprint like crazy from my flight to my next flight.

Anyway, this post was about what happens if I miss my flight.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 15:13