We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
Save Topic
Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

Hi

I'm travelling Sydney - Vancouver via LAX.

Flight arrives 6:30am at LAX Terminal B (Tom Bradley) and leaving to Vancouver at 10:00am (not sure which terminal but it's a US Airways operated by American Eagle flight). This is a separately booked flight, not a connecting flight.

Do you think 3.5 hours is enough time to get me through customs/baggage claim @ LAX? Are flights to Canada treated the same way as other international flights, i.e. being at the airport 2 hours beforehand, etc.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

"This is a separately booked flight, not a connecting flight." - You might make it in 3.5hours but the fact that it's a separately booked flight means you carry all the risk - in addition to the usual Immigration/Customs formalities you need to complete on arrival at LAX you'll need to get to the relevant terminal to complete check in/bag drop.

I normally allow 3 hours for a connection on a single ticket and would want a lot longer for separately ticketed flights - any schedule changes prior to travel or delays on the day and you could struggle to make the flight.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 14:39
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

Just curious as to the date of travel LAX to YVR as US Airways shows only flights operated by Mesa Airlines dba as US Airways Express, don't see any operated by American Eagle

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

Travel Date is May 21 2015

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

April 21 2015 - sorry

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

Ah, I see, I only looked for the next few months. Better American Eagle, as I have read Mesa is not that great.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

American Eagle is now Envoy flying as American Eagle. Pluses and minuses. On a connecting flight this would be plenty of time. In a non-connecting flight, it may be tight, especially if you have checked bags.

The Envoy flight is an international flight. Checkin has to be completed at least one hour prior to departure. It is a security thing. So, while you have 3.5 hours assuming on-time arrival, you are pushing it. You didn't want to fly on Air Canada direct to YVR from SYD?

So starting with 3:30, assume 10 min to get off the plane. 10 min to walk to immigration. 30 min in line for Immigration. Say 20 minutes to get your bag and 10 minutes to walk it through Customs. Plan 10 minutes to walk to terminal 2 and 15 minutes to wait in line... so reaching the counter happens with about 45 minutes prior to the check-in deadline. Hopefully your plane is on time. I also hope that you have left at least 5 hours for the return (rule of thumb... leave enough time to have three alternate routes to the big flight if your itinerary is broken.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

If you're not flying until April 2015 I think there is a high probability that the schedule for your LAX to YVR flight will change - you can only hope it moves in your favour or that window to catch the flight could become impossible.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

I believe 30 minutes to get through immigration at that hour is too optimistic. There are a number of flights arriving from Australia alone, at least one of them an A380 with lots of passengers. Add the other flights coming in and immigration will be very busy.

We will be coming from MEL ourselves, arriving around 7am. I was advised to allow at least 4 hours for a connection to SEA on a separate ticket.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

I consider the best option by far is Air Canada SYD/YVR direct as mentioned above. It would save a lot of time and stress.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,441 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney to Vancouver (stop over in LA) layover time?

I like the Air Canada trip too, and I find LAX a horrible airport to navigate, especially with some minor mobility difficulties.