We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,504 posts
302 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic

Now we all know that Signapore Air is the best in the world. But who here absolutely loves Virgin? I do.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic

I love a number of things about Virgin - we fly from Barbados to Gatwick at least twice a year....

1) I love the 747's rather than BA's 777 - coz I like to sit upstairs in a smaller cabin and the Premium Economy is EXCELLENT on Virgin

2) Their Upper Class is far better than BA's Business but the same price - I love that.

3) I love their PE check-in which is very fast and best of all their twilight check-in at Gatwick

4) I love the entertainment system they have - much better than BA

5) their meals and food service is OK - on a par with BA

however.... their cabin crew isnt as good as BA and their kids packs and passenger gift bag thingies are pretty crap - and the in-flight shopping is barely okay, not great.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,504 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic

very true, and their priority check-in is also excellent

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic

I think virgin get it right where you want it right...

their seats, cabins and entertainment are better and thats my main priorities - the rest of the things are just niggly little things that arent as relevant. and their mileage points are good as we can upgrade to upper class every couple of years or so.

UK
Level Contributor
352 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic

I was a Virgin virgin until three weeks ago when embarking on a rigorous vacation, flying LHR to SFO and LV to LGW on return.

The LHR to SFO experience was everything good that I had heard about Virgin ...... attentive stewards, excellent food, first class entertainment etc etc etc.

The LV to LGW experience was quite the opposite! Poor food, less than attentive stewards (I requested a glass of water 3 hrs into the flight - I'm STILL waiting!!!!), faulty entertainment system which was antiquated when compared to the outbound flight. All in all, a highly unpleasant flight, that has left a big doubt in my mind as to Virgin's reputation

Admittedly, it was an overnight flight which is far less pleasant, but it was honestly as if these flights were run by two separate companies!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,504 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic

wow. give them another try and based on the next experience determine whether it is really bad or not.

West Midllands...
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic

I thought they were utter rubbish on my flight to Miami would never fly with them again. One of the worst.

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic

My favourite long haul is and always has been British Airways. We have flown Virgin Atlantic and BA to America and BA wins hands down. BA to New York twice now and best flights you could ask for.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
834 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic

In my opinion, Virgin's Upper Class doesn't even compare to BA's Club World or First - and Virgin also really missed the boat when it came to upgrading their Upper Class, which was in dire need of it! The last time I flew Virgin to LA, there was only one toilet working for the entire Upper and Premium economy cabin and it was in Upper Class so we had a constant stream of people stomping up and down queueing for the loo.. And paying all that money for a seat that didn't even recline flat (at that time)... I wondered what I was paying for! And yes, I've met RB on several occasions and have told him as much! Although I personally haven't experienced the new upper class on Virgin, I'm reliably told that it still doesn't match up to BA - given the choice, I know who I'd pick! :-)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,504 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic

The new Upper Class suite is eqivalent to BA's Club World. Upper Class has the largest bed in the sky, not only in length, but also in width. There is a 1-1-1 configuration which gives you more personal space. The perks and the state-of-the art Virgin Clubhouses make the experience even better. Virgin's Clubhouse makes BA Terraces look like utter rubbish.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic

I'd have to disagree about Virgin being worse than BA's club World.

Its FAR better than Club World! I hate that weird configuration in CW - you feel like you're packed into a sardine can, seats are smaller and theres no real privacy (even with the screens up).

Virgins Upper gives you individual lie-flat beds, only 14 seats in total, privacy, bar etc....

far better IMO. and for the same price too!