We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines and Nut Allergies

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Airlines and Nut Allergies

Just been getting a quote from a tour operator and have never heard this in 11 years in the industry but she said " we have to inform you that Emirates do not cater for people with nut allergies".

I laughed but have never thought about it before.

Nut free meals on aircraft? What are your thoughts

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

Well, nut allergies can be very serious for some folks. [Remember that peanuts aren't nuts and that's a separate allergy.] For some it so bad, the use of nut oils or even inhaling the tiny airborne particles of nuts can be dangerous. You'd be surprised at all the places nuts show up in food - incliding foods acrried on by passengers. Just a couple of weeks ago the gentleman next to me had a salad full of walnuts that he'd bought in the airport. Nut, peanut and gluten allergies are very common

It is probably a good policy to warm people with severe allergies. If for no other reason, legal ones.

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

My hubby's been allergic to nuts since he flew with Emirates...attendant threw the whole dish all over him : )

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

There are quite a few airlines who are nut free now. An anphylatic attack can be very dangerous and even kill if adrenaline is not available, the last place I would want this to happen would be on an aircraft.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

wow emirates, find this hard to believe, the mighty giant they are!!!

Lil x

London, England
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

I have only flown with first choice since I found out my son has nut allergies. I call them beforehand and request a nut free flight. They make an announcement before take-off (well sometimes!) that it is a nut free flight and there is a passenger with severe nut allergy on board, so please refrain from eating nuts.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

We flew Southwest from FL to Boston in July and as soon as everyone was boarded the flight attendant made the announcement that there was a passenger (a child) onboard that had a peanut allergy and peanuts would not be served as a snack. If any passengers had brought peanut snacks onboard they were asked not to open the packages.

It is a very serious allergy. We got some nice snack crackers that were actually better than the peanut snacks! LOL

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

I thought about this the last time we flew. Because of flight times and plane changes no time to eat at airport. We had peanut butter crackers for our lunch on the plane that I had brought along. No announcement that you could not have peanuts. I think the airline needs to let you know days before your flight and I don't know how they would do that.

My children's schools have different rules due to nut allergies. I can understand that the person can not eat them, I'm not trying to be nasty here, but for the people that can't be anywhere near anyone eating them, or touch something somebody touched that had eaten nuts, how do they go anywhere in public?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

They never go anywhere without their Epipen (a shot of adrenaline).

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

Nut allergies seem to be more and more common these days. As a teacher I have had several pupils who have severe nut-allergies. They all carry an epipen around their waists all the time and we teachers are trained in how to inject a young child with it. With a severe reaction the child has 20 minutes before he will be unable to breathe. My sister had her first bad reaction to nuts on a flight in her 20s to Thailand- it was nt severe but very scary for her. I have been on several flights from UK where there has been an announcement about someone on the flight with nut allergies. I am quite surprsied at Emirates and wonder if other airlines will follow.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airlines and Nut Allergies

I carry peanuts as "emergency rations"; when my blood sugar (or whatever) crashes, it happens very quickly and I go into slo-mo thinking, eventually into stupid-mo, get disoriented, start to sweat, rapid heartbeat, etc. Protein revives me: half-cup of milk, chunk of cheese; easiest, of course, is a big handful of peanuts.

Like the earlier poster, on our last flight we missed a meal. As they were preparing to serve beverage and peanuts I heard the passenger behind me telling the flight attendant that her daughter had a peanut allergy and couldn't even tolerate a peanut in the region. Now they tell me! Well, actually, they didn't. There never was an announcement. The attendant reassured her that they would serve pretzels for 3 rows before and after her, and across the aisle. Pretzels, and all such carbs, exacerbate my problem. I eventually took my peanuts to the back of the plane and washed my hands before returning to my seat, but it struck me that there was a case of dueling medical conditions. What if I'd been one row further up and hadn't overheard the conversation?