We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Aussie

Southport.Lancashire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Aussie

Unfortunately my annual 42 days leave starts at Xmas and every year the flight prices prohibit my desire to visit Oz. Any advise would be very welcome as to optimum time to secure best price flights,which airline,which route.-any possible means of avoiding the massive price hike??I would dearly like to do Cairns to Sydney over 42 days.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,877 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Aussie

Just keep looking................ most London based Aussies I know seem to get fairly reasonable flights back to Aus in December. Just post Christmas should be cheaper than just prior to Christmas.

Dunno when they book - I avoid christmas in Australia like the plague. Try airlines like China Eastern and the Korean airlines. Gulf Air can be reasonably priced, and you get the bonus of the flight being split into 3 rather than a 14 hour haul to Singapore. At the moment they are showing £800 odd for flights leaving on Tuesday 8th Jan. I usually book about 4 weeks before I travel unless I see a really cheap fare - but I realise this may not suit some people. Usually really cheap fares are the "fly next week" variety.

Dont get fixated on BA and Qantas for this flight - they are my last choice airlines for this kind of thing unless they are really cheap, which they rarely are. I have nothing against BA or Qantas per se - just they there are many much better and cheaper airlines on this route.

What are you going to do for the other 35 days of your holiday (assuming you do Cairns to Sydney REALLY slowly)?

Warrington, England
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Aussie

I booked our flights with Singapore Airlines in September 06, for a Feb 07, 5 week holiday. Flying from Manchester to Brisbane, we will travel by car up the east coast to Cairns, stopping off at Noosa, Town of 1770, Airlie Beach, Townsville and then 10 days in Cairns, we will then fly down to Sydney for a 7 day rest!! Can''t wait to go we booked all our accommodation on line, using Trip Advisor comments to select where we will stay. Hope this helps.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,649 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Aussie

Travel on Christmas Eve / Christmas Day / New Year's Eve.

And to cut costs try going via South Korea

Lincs UK
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Aussie

Hi,

We've just returned from Bangkok outbound 23/24 December inbound 1 January.Not all the way to Oz but we got biz class flights with Emirates just a little bit more expensive than when we flew Thai biz class 14 months earlier,Thai were very expensive for the same dates we flew Emirates this year! We booked this one last July and when I looked nearer to our departure date Emirates prices had gone up and availability wasn't so good. Hope this helps.........Harry

Southport.Lancashire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Aussie

Many thanks for all replies. I will start looking end of January for flights and hope to jump on something reasonable.The Gulf Air split into three sounds very interesting and would save a long stretch in the air. I had in mind at least one stopover each way. Rough plan at the moment is five days staying in Port Douglas plus car hire to have a look around-followed by a leisurely stop/start/stay/ from Port Douglas down to Sydney using hire car and motels-finishing with 5/7 days Sydney. Would be ideal to fly into Cairns and return from Sydney but may be expensive compared to arriving and departing at same airport and doing one internal flight by one of your "no-frills" airlines. On this particular point I would welcome advise. I have noticed you have Virgin "cheap" airline. I suppose I could star at Sydney and finish at Cairns but having checked typical weather considered may be best to start at the top and work down ?!! Again thanks for replies--gratefully received

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,877 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Aussie

Oh - and dont call the place Aussie or OZ. It's Australia or Aus. Only pommy b@stards call it Aussie - and to get to Oz you follow the yellow brick road...................

As a pom who spent 30 years in Australia, I know this!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,877 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Aussie

I remember why I was posting now............. Asiana are selling ticket LHR - SYD for £475 at the moment through some bulk sellers. It night be worth keeping an eyes out. Of course, as always with most airlines, the sooner you pay, the more you pay

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Aussie

Absolutely right wizard. I HATE being called an "Aussie" almost as much as I hate Americans saing "G'day" to me and thinking they are being clever.

Southport.Lancashire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Aussie

To Wizardofoz and nozzie--I do apologise for my "slang"--no offence was intended

Southport.Lancashire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to Aussie

Just coming back quickly--cannot seem to get any prices yet in Uk--seem to have to wait untill 330 days before intended departure