We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
48 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

Mixed feelings about this one.

Having travelled many times with my (usually ) very well-behaved children, one never knows when a meltdown is on the way.

At the same time, we have probably all been "victims" of some out of control brat at one point or another.

…yahoo.com/s/…flight_tantrum

USA & Altai Kray...
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

This topic just very recently has gotten a lot of attention on this particular forum; look at the link below:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k763405-…

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

Hi

My feeling is two parents probably between 5ft and 6ft, child about 2ft. Place child on seat fasten seatbelt and ignore protests. Place hand over seatbelt clasp so it can't be opened. Apologise to other passengers for noise whilst ignoring the child.

Any parent who allows it's child to play up in this situation is heading for trouble.

Unless the child has some kind of special needs, when the airline can be informed and prepared then I do not see why 112 other people on board as well as all the other passengers who are delayed by the knock on effect should have to put up with it.

BernieG, your kids are well behaved but battles can and do break out when you really wish they wouldn't, but never have means it's the way you have brought them up. They probably know the rules, this little one doesn't and sadly with parents blaming the airline then she probably never will.

Jackie

Ottawa
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

Very well said, Jackie!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

hurray....some action by airlines at last. all we need now is some way of getting rid of the little brats mid flight.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

Even better would be to have 'child free' flights. Am sure they would be extremely popular.

USA & Altai Kray...
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

I could appreciate that... "adults only" flights! Or maybe separate areas for families and adults only passengers.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

It is always the few bad parents that spoil it for the rest of the parents traveling with children. there are no bad kids only bad parents I just had dinner at Applebee's

sitting next to me was a family of 6 mom and dad and 4 children

i would say 1 tru 6 yrs what a nice well behaved family the adult dunk at the bar was causing more noise.

when you put marginal parenting skills in a stressful situation like air travel you will always have a problem

maybe we need nanny's on the plane more for the parents than the children.LOL

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
896 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

Child Free flights - I wish

After spending 9 hours in flight with a child screaming almost continuously, and on another flight being delayed one hour due to a child wanting to sit with mum or dad not in their own seat (over age of 2) this sounds wonderful.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

According tothe news the child was slapping both her parents in the head. WELL! It is such a shame that disciplining children has become a 4 letter word and anyone of us who speaks out about misbehaving children are told to get a life, or go somewhere else. As the bible says "spare rod, spoil child" Children today are allowed to run crazy, they need boundaries and why parents do not see that it benefits everyone, especially them is beyond me. A 3 yr old, does not understand the time out chair, and obviously in this childs case she would not have sat it in anyway. I would be MORTIFIED to be on national news because I was raising a brat! I saw them on the news this morning, thought what a shame our world is run by children now, if you do not have the ability to be a responsible adult and discipline your children, do not be surprised if they grow up to be the class bully and at 13, make your lives miserable.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

The family is from my area so the local news has been giving the story a lot of attention.

What I don't understand is what they expected AirTran to do for them? AirTran refunded their tickets, put them on a flight the next day and offered them 3 roundtrip business class tickets for free (which they declined). What more do they want?

Also, the news coverage here has shown their daughter playing and acting up while the newscaster is trying to interview her and the parents and the parents merely roll their eyes at her behavior.