We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

Level Contributor
1,182 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

just wondering if there are age restrictions with regard elderly person travelling. Does an elderly person need s doctors certificate to state fit for travel. My wife's grandmother is 89, she is obviously elderly,deaf and fragile but full capacity otherwise. Flight duration would be 13 hrs from her country to our residence,she would be accompanied by an aid.

Level Contributor
1,182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

Should Add that she would be flying bc for comfort

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,843 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

Why don't you ask whichever airline you're considering flying.

Berry, Australia
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

As long as she has a 'fit to fly' certificate issued within 7 days of travel (same on return), most airlines have no issue.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

My father is now 94 and travels all over the world. He's never had his age or fitness to travel questioned. He's flying out on his own from the UK to spend Christmas with me. Singapore Airlines who he is flying with (and has on many other occasions) have never queried his age or suggested he needs a fitness certificate. And they do know his age - he's a frequent flyer so they have his DOB recorded.

Berry, Australia
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

Sorry, should have added that the med cert is only necessary if, by looking at your grandmother, it is obvious that she is not well. Otherwise, as above, people of these ages fly daily, in large numbers worldwide.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

I have never ever heard of airlines imposing age limits, but I confess to having never checked that aspect of the fine print either. I would guess it's not politically appropriate to have such a issue, but what do I know?!

If this grandmother is fully capable of finding her own way onto a plane and off again at the other side, I cannot see any issue. However, what do you mean by 'an aid'? A person, some physical support like a zimmer frame, or something else.

Once my Mum reached 80, and having had knee replacement surgery on both knees, we always ensured that she requested well ahead of travel airport assistance despite her protestations. In the end she did come round to the convenience of having a wheel chair provided with somebody to push it, or some other help to avoid those long miles of corridors that most airports have. We also contributed to her tickets so she could fly in a premium cabin to make the long haul flight more comfortable and with better FA service. I note you've also opted for this.

What will be impacted by her age is the price of travel insurance, especially if she has any pre existing medical conditions.

SWT

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

"..... by looking at your grandmother, it is obvious that she is not well."

My father flew every year for the last 15 years. He was in a wheelchair - could only use his right arm. He had to be helped in/out of his seat and on/off the plane. At NO time did anyone ask for a doctors note to see if he was fit to fly.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,877 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

Well the queen is 90 and she flies all over the world :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
495 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

wondering if there are age restrictions with regard elderly person travelling

===================

I don't think so, but if the airline requests for a doc's certificate, they just want to be able to pass the buck in case something happens--- "Uh, gee, her doctor said it was alright for her to fly..."

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,305 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Age limit/restrictions for elderly travellers

No one will ask for a "fit to fly " certificate unless she is obviously unable to manage even with wheel chair help!!

Our uncle is 94 and flies all over the world independently with no one ever bothering to ask those sorts of questions!