We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Leaf Airlines

Hamilton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
New Leaf Airlines

Has anyone used this company when flying in Canada ? Please provide feedback on your experience. Thanks, Jeanette

79 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,691 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Leaf Airlines

Hi Jeanette! My daughter and her partner flew from Edmonton to Hamilton to Moncton, and return, on New Leaf (Flair Airlines) a few weeks ago (in mid September) and were very pleased with it. They bought tickets during a half-price sale and the cost for the two of them, including luggage charges, was less than what I normally pay for a single ticket on either Air Canada or West Jet to go from Alberta to the east coast.

I'll be flying down east next summer and hope to try them out for myself then.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Leaf Airlines

Don't fly on a weekend. Don't fly in the evenings or early mornings. There's no kiosks to print out boarding pass at the airport. There's no support if something goes wrong otherwise. I learned that the hard way. Their website is no help either. There's no way to access or request a boarding pass. I was got to the airport 40 mins before my flight and I had no way to get through security. There was no one to help me. It was the most helpless experience I've ever had.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Leaf Airlines

Hey KingsleyTO, you mean there is no counter at the airport? How do you check your baggage?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Leaf Airlines

If you had read the very basic details on the website you would have known the check in counter closes 60 minutes before departure. That's why there was no one to help you.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,691 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Leaf Airlines

>> There's no way to access or request a boarding pass.

You must have also missed the information on this then - and you would agreed to it when you booked your ticket. It's quite clearly stated that if you print your own boarding pass or have it on your phone, there is no charge, but that if you want them to print it, there is a fee at the check-in counter. Of course, if you miss the cut-off time for the check in counter, then you're totally out of luck.

Seems like NewLeaf is destined to collect the same kind of "hate" that RyanAir does, from people who don't bother to read the Terms & Conditions when they book. Compared to RyanAir though, NewLeaf's charges for printing boarding passes at the airport are about half the cost.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Leaf Airlines

My son took it in November YHM-YEG, and then a couple days later YEG-YHM.

On the way there, complained it was the worse flight he ever took and the landing was hard. Said he would never fly again on it.

Return flight must have not been as bad since I did not hear any complaints, and we are in the process of booking a flight out and back next month.

The truth is, there is no entertainment system. So if you are not prepared for this, you will be bored. Both WestJet and Air Canada have great free entertainment systems. Air Canada's is exceptional. We are spoiled.

As a 1M flyer with Air Canada and SuperElite with Air Canada many years, I was upgraded frequently. I also accumulated lots of Air Miles and flew a number of times with WestJet. I can tell you of a Qantas flight a decade ago from Honolulu to Sydney where the flight attendants were around for less than an hour. I can tell you of a landing in Beijing on Hainan Airlines and knowing that the co-pilot who looked 20 was probably landing the plane.

The bottom line: if you can handle being squished, are organized enough to print your tickets and follow instructions, and want a great price, New Leaf is the way to go. When price matters, this is a great alternative and I hope that New Leaf is around a long time.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Leaf Airlines

Normally, I would suggest one go to the TA Airline Reviews, but know that fairly recently, New Leaf was not yet listed on TA, based on a couple of posts to the TA Support Forum. Do not know if it's listed yet? Also, as TA Airline Reviews are but about 18 mos old, not sure how many folk will have reviewed it, even if listed.

Hope that others can give you some personal insight.

Fly safely,

Hunt

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,914 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Leaf Airlines

I was got to the airport 40 mins before my flight and I had no way to get through security. There was no one to help me.

----------------------------------------------------\

Flying in Canada , especially on a low cost carrier, you need to arrive a lot earlier than 40 minutes prior to departure. Those days are gone.

Langley City, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Leaf Airlines

Dear new leaf,

Thanks so much for ruining my Christmas Eve and Christmas Day plans,

I flew on this airline from Abbotsford to Calgary our flight was suppose to leave Abbotsford at 6 pm my husband and I got to the airport at 4 as they stated to arrive 2 hrs early. We got checked in and the attendant notified us that the plane is delayed until 6:30 which normally we understand it happens.. As we were sitting down eating an announcement was made that our plane would be delayed until 7:30pm which means the plane had not even left from its prior destination ( which was Winnipeg) for it to be delayed so long! 7:30 rolled around at which time another announcement was made that the plane would not arrive until 8:30 pm. We finally managed to get on the plane at 8:30 pm. Speaking to other travellers one woman stated they delayed her flight that she was in the airport for 12 hrs. We sat in the airport for 4 hours and nothing. Not even a sorry for the inconvenience, nothing - the disregard and disrespect they showed for their passengers is unbelievable!

Now because we paid for a return flight we thought we would give them a second chance and as expected more disappointment

I flew on this airline from Calgary to Abbotsford to spend Christmas with family. My flight was 3 hours delayed due to "weather" although all other airlines were still departing and landing. When they finally boarded the plane the pilot announced they would be landing in Vancouver YVR and not Abbotsford and to let any family members who would be picking them up know. Upon 15 minutes to landing the pilot announced to everyone that they would now be landing back in Abbotsford... We were still in the air and had no way of contacting family/friends.

The staff of flair air were not friendly at all! Instead of requesting and kindly speaking to passengers they ordered them around. At one point one of the air hostess went on the intercom and told a passenger to sit down ( if that wasn't embarrassing enough). My husband and I were sitting in our seats and they walked right past us didn't even ask or offer if we wanted to purchase anything and continued to offer other passengers.

My family member arrived at YVR (55 min drive from Abby) to see the flight on the arrivals board with no carousel number, and was told that last minute the pilot changed his mind and that the flight was landing in ABBOTSFORD!! It was 10:30 pm - 3 hours later than i was supposed to arrive, and I now they were faced with having to drive another hour out to Abbotsford to pick me up.

Lucky for them it took an HOUR for the airline to deplane their luggage (because that clearly takes an hour and is super reasonable...), so they arrived just as we got our bag.

We then drove another hour home and arrived back home at 1 am on Christmas Day.

We were both so tired that we had to cancel our Christmas Day dinner.

And guess what? No apology; nothing.

Im horrified at how little this company values its passengers and the importance of time with family over the holidays.

Im pretty patient but this was absolutely ridiculous!

This is our first and last time using NewLeaf. NEVER AGAIN. Read less

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Leaf Airlines

Dear Jessu. Welcome to Trip Advisor and congratulations on your first post.

New Leaf is a new frills/ low cost airline which is supposedly cheap, although I truly have no idea if it is, and your problems really don't surprise me. I can't find out their exact fleet numbers (how many airplanes they own) but one site said they only have 5 Boeing 737's. In a busy travel season with unpredictable weather - and I seem to recall Winnipeg getting snow around that period - that leads to a knock-on effect of delays, because planes aren't where they are supposed to be. WestJet suffers a bit from the same problem and their fleet is much bigger.

It is one of the reasons I choose to fly with the much maligned Air Canada over the holidays, if at all possible.

Reply to: New Leaf Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted