We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

Hi,

I have just discovered that my employer has bought me an "economy light" ticket for a business trip to Frankfurt. No-one actually checked with me whether this was what I needed. According to Lufthansa's website, this allows one piece of carry-on baggage of up to 8 Kg.

I will be carrying my laptop with me as well as my clothes, and in total the bag as packed weighs about 8kg.

My question is whether the allowance includes a handbag, or whether I can carry a handbag with my purse etc in it too? - All other airlines allow this in addition to carry-on baggage, but Lufthansa's website makes no mention of this. If I have to put my money, glasses and so on into the carry-on bag it will weigh more than 8 kg, and I risk it being taken from me and put in the hold - which I obviously would like to avoid since I don't want my money, computer etc in there.

I am in a dilemma now - do I take an extra bag with me to decant the computer and so on into in case my handbag counts on top of the carry-on bag? Or is it OK to actually take a handbag on board without losing one's carry-on!

Many thanks for advice! This sounds paranoid, perhaps, but I am a little miffed by the whole situation and expecting the worst.

37 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

Updated to say - I have finally found a Lufthansa page which says one extra personal item is allowed! - So now have to measure my laptop's usual bag to ensure it complies. And put my handbag inside that, I suppose. :(

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

I hope you will raise a grievance with your employer.

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

I shall definitely investigate whether my employer knew what they were being sold! And will warn others accordingly.....

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

Hello, I am having the same dilemma that you had... were you able to take your flight with the 8kg bag as well as your laptop bag?

I am not sure my small suitcase will meet the weight limit if I have to stuff my purse in there as well... can you point me to the page you found on Lufthansa's site?

Many thanks for your help, I was glad to find this post!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,931 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

Lufthansa's carry on rules, including the dimensions of the personal item, are shown here.

Personal item - "max. 30 x 40 x 10 cm, e.g. handbag, laptop bag"

www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Carry-on-baggage…

They definitely allow the personal item. I've taken 8kg carry on plus the PI many times.

[To the OP, if you were booked on a Lite ticket by your employer and needed a checked bag why didn't you just pay for it and then expense it? I have to approve expense reports for my staff and that includes ancillary fees]

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

That's great, thank you for the fast reply. I found something similar so was going on the assumption that my purse could remain separate. Thanks again.

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

Hi all

I took the 8kg bag plus laptop bag. In theory, a handbag would be an extra item again, and although I doubt they would actually refuse you this, as it was all fairly liberal in the end. But on the face of things, the rule that people can take the 8kg bag plus one more (laptop OR handbag) seems to discriminate against women! I managed to stuff my money etc into the 8kg bag, but it was not ideal.

@US businesstraveller - if it had come to it I would indeed have charged my employer any extra, though I am sure this would have led to questions, as I work in the UK public sector and things are pretty tightly screwed down (and getting worse)!

Thanks for contributions!

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

How on earth does this discriminate against women?

Women and men both have exactly the same allowance a carryon bag of specified weight and size plus a laptop bag or a handbag.

I am a woman and I have several handbags and laptop bags of different sizes. I often use my laptop bag as a handbag as I hate carrying both but in this situation if I wanted a handbag and a laptop bag I would take one of my smaller handbags and put it inside either my carryon or my laptop bag.

You know men need to carry stuff as well - glasses, keys, wallets, phones. If they can put it into the 2 bags so can women.

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

Women are more likely in my experience to carry both a laptop bag AND a handbag, and less likely to carry keys, phones, money, etc in suit pockets. Sorry if this so offends you that you feel you need to dash off another lengthy reply about what people carry and where and the shape of your personal luggage.

Edited: 18 January 2017, 12:26
UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?

Frankly, I don't expect a request for assistance with inadequate baggage space to be greeted with a self-righteous lecture about the appropriateness of my own luggage.

Reply to: Lufthansa's "Economy Light" - baggage allowance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted