We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alaska cruise - princess

Red
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
alaska cruise - princess

My husband and I are going from Vancouver to Whittier May 26/07

We will have a balcony with an inside view (looking towards land).

Can anyone tell me if they saw whales from the ship or do you have to take a whale watching tour from one of the ports?

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alaska cruise - princess

I took the Princess Coral cruise in 2002. It went from Seward to Vancouver in the inside passage. It started August 9. There were plenty of whales to be seen from the deck and a naturalist who was on board part of the time explaining what everyone was seeing. She explained it over the loud speakers and was broadcast on the TV in each room. I have a sister in law who is a biologist and she wanted to be there every minute. I saw some whales from the deck but I wasn't that much into it. You don't have to have a balcony room to see the whales. You should bring some binoculars because they aren't right up against the ship.

By the way, in Glacier Bay the ship is turned around facing the glaciers so both sides of the ship get to see them.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alaska cruise - princess

I should make the turning around clear. The ship is turned around partway through the time in the bay so both sides of the ship get to see the glaciers. Anyone can see them from the decks but if you have a balcony room can enjoy them from your room. We sat on my mother's balcony and played cards and enjoyed the view. It happened to be very warm, high 70s and very clear that day so it was perfect.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
429 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alaska cruise - princess

Thanks for that. We just booked our first cruise----Alaskan on Princess and realized too late that although we had a balcony, it was on the "wrong" side of the ship (ocean side). It was really our only choice at the time. It sounds like that should work out fine.

Kent UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alaska cruise - princess

Just an additional point to the reply about sighting whales. Do take one (or two) of the whale watching trips offered. You will be much closer and it is a marvellous experience.

Also, there is no "right" or "wrong" side, in my view. Most of the cruise will be through passages with superb scenery on both sides. Very little is "open sea" at least on the cruise I took, Vancouver to Whittier on RSS Mariner last year.

San Diego,CA
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alaska cruise - princess

We're doing the same cruise in May 2008. What was the best thing you saw.

San Diego,CA
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alaska cruise - princess

HI, my husband and I are doing the Alaska Cruise on May 26, 2008.

Any suggestions. We're adding the land cruise.

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alaska cruise - princess

We were on the Sun Princess on the Inland Passage cruise in Sept. 2006. We didn't have a balcony room, but spent a lot of time on the promenade deck and other outside decks. We saw plenty of whales, bears on shore, and bald eagles!

I would recommend an Alaska cruise for anyone interested in seeing wildlife and beautiful scenery!

8. Re: alaska cruise - princess

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 04:17