We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

Hello. My husband and I are booked on the Liberty of the Seas (new Freedom class ship) inaugural cruise for our honeymoon. We had to cancel our original trip and subsequently booked this trip after seeing a special on the building of the Freedom of the Seas on the Travel channel. The ship looked amazing to us, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thought's they'd like to share on their experiences with the Freedom class ships. This will be our first ever cruise, so I'd like to be prepared for both the good and the bad. We'll be traveling the western caribbean itinerary in a D2 superior oceanview room.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Portsmouth
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

Have just returned from a cruise on Mariner of the Seas which is slightly smaller that the Freedom Class. Just be warned that big is not beautiful. It was just one big queue for 14 days to eat, to see the shows and to get ashore.

If you do not like crowds then this will not be for you.

Sorry if I sound negative but that is how we found it.

On the positive side the ship will be gorgeous but all those passengers - never again and this was a common complaint.

princeton,nj
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

we returned from a cruise on freedom of the seas. one of the best!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

I did not like Freedom. She is far too big with too many people. Instead of feeling like you are on a ship, it feels like a combo amusement park/convention hotel.

If you have never cruised perhaps you will be ok with it as you will have different expectations but this ship - any big ship for that matter - is not my cup of tea.

With the masses of families these ships attract., I truly would look elsewhere for a honeymoon.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

I have a slightly different take on this. I'm not sure I'd want to plan my honeymoon around an *inaugural* cruise. It takes a while to shakedown most ships so things operate smoothly. And , despite the HUGE penalties the shipbuilder faces for being late, it has happened, and inaugural cruises have been cancelled - at almost the last minute.

(I think this happened with Pride of Aloha, although those were different circumstances.)

Perhaps you should post a separate thread asking people about their experiences with inaugural cruises.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

fannish, RCI does a great job with shakedowns. Liberty sets sail on a series or pre-inaugurals next week and I am onboard on 5/4 for two nights by invitation.

The shakedowns are for TAs, frequent RCI cruises, charities, corporate.

As far as Liberty goes, I do not think there will be significant service issues as they undersell the ship on early sailings to compensate.

It would be the overall experience that leaves me wanting more...or in this case, less : )

Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

Ignore the killjoys Beth, have a wonderful honeymoon. I am booked on Liberty sailing 21st sEPT. western caribbean also. also D2, superior oceanview balcony cabin. my son and family sailed Freedom last year and he said it was the best holiday he ever had and before getting off they booked for Liberty this August He said everything was just wonderful, and no way did bigger feel . any way less. he said the bigger the better as there is more space to get away if that is what you like. and remember room service is free - that should suit you two lovebirds. happy marriage, happy honeymoon. love from an old married Irish lady, married 43 years now !!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

Nothing like second hand information to make a recommendation!

Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

We have cruised smaller older ships (Rhapsody and Mercury) and RCCL Voyager class as well as Carnival Conquest and Triumph. Our personal preference is a larger, newer ship and RCCL over Carnival. We generally cruise during non-peak times so perhaps we have never experienced over crowded conditions. The only times we experienced waiting in line is at dinner seating, however if you don't want to deal with the crowd just go down a few minutes late. It's not like they're going to give your table to some one else. You may also have to wait on elevators, if that bothers you taking the stairs is a great way to work off those extra calories. We hope to cruise a Freedom class ship in the near future. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

9. Re: RCI Freedom Class Ships - thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 09:27