We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Village - Toucans and Tequila

England
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Village - Toucans and Tequila

Hi

Has anyone else booked to go on this cruise and, if so, are you like us concerned about hurricane damage at any or all of the ports on the itinerary? Will there be anything left for us to see? Is it worth paying our money?

Help!!!

Essex Girl

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Village - Toucans and Tequila

If I have the right itinerary, you're going from Jamaica to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize City, Roatan, Grand Cayman, back to Jamaica.

It's true the pier at Costa Maya has been completely destroyed by Hurricane Dean. That port will not be operational again until sometime next year, at best. But, in all honesty, the loss of this "created" cruise port is not a vacation disaster. (That doesn't mean I'm not sick over the fate of the nearby "real" town, and people, of Majuahual) There's a chance you may spend 2 days in Cozumel....perhaps OV will reroute to Cancun. I'd get in touch with your TA about what the alternate port will be.

Grand Cayman did not suffer much damage - that should be fine. Belize City sustained no damage, although some hotels north of there have been affected.

Hurricane Felix spared Roatan.

While you don't say your departure date, and it's possible that Henriette or some later hurricane will inflict more damage, right now I'd think your trip would be a "go".

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
49 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Village - Toucans and Tequila

I'm booked on the Reggae and Rainforests. It's the same cruise as you, just the alternate week. I too wondered what will be left for us to visit. I've noticed from the OV website that we will now be calling at Progreso on the north coast of the Yucatan peninsula instead of Costa Maya. I think it may be better. It's near the town of Merida, where I've spent a night before (from Cancun) - it's a nice Mexican town. Also, the Uxmal pyramid may be do-able, and that is a brillant sight (and site!).

England
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Village - Toucans and Tequila

Thank you so much for that information. Yes, we're doing both Toucans and Tequilas as well as the Reggae and Rainforests. Although we're not due to go until New Year's Day, we were getting a little apprehensive. If you're going before us, please let us have a travel report and any tips/suggestions - we'll already have paid our balance by then but its always nice to hear from others and be able to plan and look forward to setting off on such a lovely holiday; can you tell we're excited already????

Essex Girl

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Village - Toucans and Tequila

Every year there are hurricanes, some places are more affected than others but life goes on.We went to Grenada after "Ivan" that WAS a big un! they were glad to see us & needed the money we brought to the island.I don't think you need to worry, if one port isn't ok they will get in to another. The only problem we had was ''too rough'' to land by tender in one place,that was Tobago (not on your cruise).

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
49 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Village - Toucans and Tequila

Sorry - won't be able to update you before you go because we'll be on the ship when you arrive - we fly out on Xmas Day! Let's hope all goes well. I'm sure it will & we'll all have a great time.

England
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Village - Toucans and Tequila

Hey Wacktle, wear a red carnation so that we'll know who you are and say hello! Yes, we feel we're going to have a great time too and we're not too sorry that we won't be calling in at Costa Maya now as Progreso sounds quite a good place to see.

I agree with you too, JohntheDog; in fact, we did the eastern Caribbean cruise after Ivan and everyone in that area was pleased to see us as they do need the tourists and what lovely islands they all are. We weren't able to land at Dominica or Mayreau due to sea conditions, which was disappointing, but we had a great time on OV anyway and that's why we're going again this time.

7. Re: Ocean Village - Toucans and Tequila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 18:18