We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVALON River Cruises in Europe

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
AVALON River Cruises in Europe

Has anyone been on a river cruise with AVALON?? My husband and I are thinking of going on a Rhine/Moselle cruise next August and would appreciate some info or experiences you have had with this company.

We are trying to decide the best company for the money and the best accommodations.

Thank you

Dianne

Columbus Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

I have been researching similar cruises (think we will do the Southern France cruise on the Rhone). I have heard good things about Avalon and can see that their cabins are larger than Viking's, which can make the difference between a pullman bed and a real bed.

I went to a travel agent to get some help and she found that Avalon is presently offering 2 for 1 fares for many of their 2009 summer cruises, including Paris-Nice, Budapest-Prague, and Prague-Paris, all in August 2009. This is not mentioned on the Globus/ Avalon website and when she called was told this is available only through certain travel agents (including her agency).

Harvey

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,787 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

But all river cruises are NOT the same and only differentiated by price. I just got back from the River Baroness and the week was outstanding. This 'hotel' is beautifully decorated and very comfortable from the beds in the cabins to the butter soft leather chairs in the forward lounge. The service staff was warm (yes I was in France) and their service excellent. The guides, the quietvox audio sets the shore tours were perfect but best of all was the incredible dining. Every meal was a delight. Until the end of this month there's special pricing or maybe later if you book with Harvey's travel agent.

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

So who is your trav. agent with the discount? Or the agency chain? SG

Columbus Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

Our agent is Cindy with Travel Leaders in Columbus OH,

www.travelleaders.com/columbusoh

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

I believe all travel agents have access to Avalon Waterways special discounts. It is listed on their website.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

My husband and I went on the Avalon River cruise, Flavors of Burgundy and Provence, last October and it was wonderful. Avalon is a company affliated with the Globus Tour Co. The food is outstanding onboard and wine and sodas are free.Each afternoon there was a snack served.Their beds are real beds and not made into couches in the daytime.It is hard to compare river cruises as the length and ports are not exactly the same. However,I have been on four Globus tours and they are a very reliable company.The guides are very professional and led us on short tours each morning. In the afternoon you could have free time or take an optional tour for an additional fee.This posting might be too late for you as you have probably already booked but just thought I would add my opinion.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

I would not recommend Globus to my worst enemy! The travel agent has been unbelievably rude, including yelling at me when I had a question and called her. I was so shocked that I wrote a letter to the Director of Travel Services and never received a reply. They overcharged me for the trip, and incorrectly charged someone else in our group.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

Are you saying it is the travel agent's fault or Globus?

chicago
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

Do you know anything about Scenic cruises....we are trying to find a European cruise with the best to offer in Sept. 2010?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AVALON River Cruises in Europe

Is Scenic Cruises the name of the company? I have never heard of them but I am not familiar with all of the river cruise lines. Some of the main ones you hear about are Viking and Avalon. As stated in a earlier posting, we went on an Avalon one last year in the Provence and Burgundy area. Avalon is owned by Globus and I have taken several tours with them and they are a top-notch company.