We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

We are booked on the Thomson Celebration for the Red Sea Magic Cruise in January 2010. The main reason we are going on this cruise is to visit Petra and Cairo. However, I read in the brochure that the excursion to Petra has limited availabilty and as you cannot pre book the excursions I am concerned that we might not get places. Has anybody experienced any problems?

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Sorry for not replying sooner. You will get a brochure in your cabin on arrival with all the details. All trips are charged to your "on board" account. Petra costs £82 each, Cairo museum & Pyramids cost £75 each, Valley of Kings & Luxor cost £82 each. Book early and you will be OK. Any other questions, please let me know. Regards. Tony

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Eurofile, Apologies for late reply, but everything that WirralScouse said is spot on. You will have a great time with no hassle. One tip, if you don't mind.Get your group to find a regular spot for the evening entertainment and the waiter will remember your name & drinks all week. If you think of anything else, just let me know. Regards. Tony

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

If you want to get off the ship with a "small one" in Aqaba, you can use the free shuttle bus arranged by Thomsons which takes you to the bus station in town. Only a 5 to 10 minute journey. Buses run all day back and forward, so no problem. There are only organised trips in Eygpt, so you only have to get off the ship and the coach is right there. Regards.Tony

Glasgow Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Hi Tony or any others who have been before. How strenous is the Petra trip. I mean is it the mountain goat variety or a gentle stroll. How arm is Jordan at this time of year. We are going in Jan 28th. Be so good to excape the snow,ice and sub zero temperatures in Britain.

birmingham
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

We have just got back from our cruise on the celebration. Fantastic!! We went on the trip to Petra, it is hard going, but as long as you have got comfortable shoes on it is managable. We estimated it was approx 10 k there and back if you go right to the end of the tour, you don't have to do that you can walk back to the hotel for lunch whenever you want. It is possible to hire a horse, trap and driver down to the Treasury (don't know the cost because we walked) Camel rides are also available to the end of the tour from the Treasury. Have fun we certainly did.

Weather wise it was pleasant, but carry water with you because walking back is uphill.

Edited: 16 January 2010, 20:33
london
4 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Hello all,

I have booked for 11th Feb 2010. Can someone please tell me that how do we pay for excursions onboard? Is credit card accepted? Is there an addtional fee to use credit card? Are all currencies accepted?

Any help will be greatful.

Cheers,

Nitin

london
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Hello all,

I am planning to cruise on the 11th of Feb 2010, just wanted to know how do we pay for exucrsions? Is credit card accpeted? Is there an additional fee for using CC? Do they accept payment in GBP?

Cheers,

Nitin

birmingham
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Hi Nitin, before you board the celebration you can register your credit card or debit card or give a deposit in sterling to pay for your account whilst on board. It is a cashless boat. Everything you buy including trips ( I think the petra trip was £88 per person) whilst on board is charged to your cabin and you pay at the end of the cruise. Everything is explained in the information pack sent to you with your travel vouchers. Have fun we certainly did. Yvonne

greek islands
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

hi. we have booked this cruise for dec 2010. can you tell me how long you are on the coach to see the valley of the kings, pyramids? i see that they are all long days, but was wondering if the actual coach time is long as i am not the best traveller on buses. thank you. also do you know if there is anything much to see in aqaba itself off the shuttle bus?? thank you any info will be appreciated.

Swansea
Level Contributor
6 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Hi,

Hope this will be of interest. We too are on The Red Sea cruise...same date as you. It`ll be our third time...not because we are mad about the area,the cruise is simply available when we can go!

Anyway, have been to Petra twice. Used a company called, Jordan Inspiration Tours` and booked through Sami Hasanat .He showed us and our 2 adult kids around Petra the first time. The second time, he was busy showing Bill Gates around .... so we knew our way ok by ourselves and we walked to the next `valley` over the mt , up the steps !

He collected us at the dockside the first time and the entrance to the dock the second time(no probs). We can arrive before the Thomson crowd (800 ?) and have a guide if we wish. It was reasonably priced , no food inc. but can be pointed in direction of food etc. email him for a quote, tell him Melissa Roberts from Swansea, S. Wales recommended him sami@jitours.com

This year, we will go to The Dead Sea so will go with Thomsons, probably. Sami took us for a look at Wadi Rum the first time, too....no extra charge.

He shows all the high ranking visitors around and is a friend of King Abdullah.

We also did the Cairo Tours and Valley of The Kings by personal minibus, arranged over the net. It meant we went where we wanted to go(no perfume /papyrus factory)The companies were excellent and were there on the dockside awaiting our arrival. I was very worried they wouldn`t be there as we hadn`t paid any deposits. They were excellent....Memphis Tours in Egypt. See you on board..........deck 1/2 as booked last week ! Melissa