We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

We are booked on the Thomson Celebration for the Red Sea Magic Cruise in January 2010. The main reason we are going on this cruise is to visit Petra and Cairo. However, I read in the brochure that the excursion to Petra has limited availabilty and as you cannot pre book the excursions I am concerned that we might not get places. Has anybody experienced any problems?

Leicester UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

It's merely due to strong headwinds on the return journey.

Leicester UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Regarding the Petra trip - no it's not particularly strenuous coming back. We were a very mixed group in terms of ages and mobility but no-one had any problems. It is possible to get a horse ride back but I would not recommend it (nor do the guides). Cairo is ok at the moment apart from the main square which the tours avoid. Those who went on the Cairo trips (there is a choice of about 3 itineraries) reported that it was a long but worthwhile day. Everyone says you must go once (but probably wil not want to return.) There are many single travellers - the ship is very friendly. You should have a great time.

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Thanks - that's very helpful. I'm looking forward to it .

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Just read your post re Cruise egypt & jordon ... My partner and I are going in January on the same holiday.

Have you got any tips, how was the weather?? Its our first cruise and I'm really looking forward to Petra can you tell me how long the coach trip was to get there?

Thanks in advance

A

Cumbria
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Hi, We went towards the end of March this year and the weather was ok, a bit windy and certainly not as hot as we were expecting, between 22 & 25 degrees during the day and quite chilly on some evenings. Petra is a good trip about 2.5 hours coach trip each way with a stop. The best trip though (it's a bit expensive but excellent) is the overnight stay in Luxor. The light show in the evening was brilliant and the hotel was good and on the banks of the Nile. As it's your 1st cruise don't be put off cruising by the ports of call on this cruise as they are not the best, book on trips out at each port is my advice!

essex
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

hi me and my husband are looking to book this cruise, do you have to book like excursions for the trips out etc??? and roughly how much do they cost, just working out if cheaper to do the cruise or go egypt then book the excursion to cario, thankyou

Newport, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
67. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

I'm going in November and we were going to book the trips before we go. But we were wondering what is available on the last day as this may change our choices on the previous day! All of the info I can find for Thomson just says that some trips are available on the last day and to ask on board. Our flight leaves around 4pm. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Scotland
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
68. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

HI

My friend and I are thinking of doing this cruise. We have done a Nile cruise, but no big cruise ships before. Our main priority for choosing this one is the ports of call, specifically Petra and Cairo.

I know this question has been asked many times now - but could anyone that has done this cruise recently give me updated prices for the trips to Petra, Cairo (hopefully the one that also goes to the museum if its still safe to run it!) and Luxor? I have been to Luxor twice before so could probably cut it out if its going to be too expensive,(but would rather see it again if I get the chance!!) but Petra and Cairo are a MUST for us.

We're on a fairly tight budget and don't want to find ourselves on the cruise and unable to afford the trips!!

If anyone could give us prices as of 2012 that would be a great help

Many thanks

Newport, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
69. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

I'm going in November. The price for the cruise was about £630 and the trips to Petra, Cairo( and the museum) and Luxor are about £100 each!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Thomson Celebration Red Sea Magic Cruise

Cheryl there will only be excursions available on the last day if you are staying onboard for the next cruise.You will need to have vacated your cabin in the morning of the last day and sent your fully-packed hold bags the previous evening.