We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian Ocean

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Indian Ocean

Hi

Can anyone please suggest when is the best time to cruise in the Indian Ocean and can anyone also please recommend a cruiseline in that area that are not too 'stuffy' or too expensive.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian Ocean

Since no major cruise ships have a home port adjacent to the Indian Ocean, cruises here are either long cruises, or a segment of a World Cruise.

So, these cruises tend to be more expensive.

Stuffy is hard to define - can you expand on what you mean? Younger passengers?

That's also a reach on longer cruises, because it tends to be the retired who have the time and money for long cruises.

Have you checked the search function at VacatonsToGo.com? With custom search, you can specify area/time you want to travel, number of days, etc.

The most likely candidate I found was Ocean Princess, 31 nights, November 21, prices starting $5500 = £3650 pp.

Edited: 29 March 2010, 18:07
England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian Ocean

Thanks for the information. It seems very much more expensive than I was expecting for sure. Stuffy? Well, for us, it would be cocktail parties and having to dress up other than just smart casual and also having to sit at the same table with the same people and at the same time each and every evening. We are both retired but are still very young at heart!

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian Ocean

I found something....it may not be exactly what you want but I hope it's close.

This December, Costa Romantica will begin to home port in Port Louis, Mauritius. Romantica will have 14 day cruises that give a nice long 2 night stay at the beginning in Port Louis, a 2 night stop in Mahe, Seychelles, as well as making 2 stops in Madagascar and another at Reunion Island.

Cruises start around US $1630 = £1080 for an inside. I see some British online ads for fly+cruise starting around £1300. (I know nothing about this travel agency - just posting for price reference):

cruisingholidays.co.uk/…

Romantica is only a 3* ship built in 1993 and refurbished in 2003. With about 1800 passengers and 600 crew, it's crew ratio is closer to 3:1 than the 2:1 often seen on cruise ships.

It's not unusual for cruise lines to put their oldest ships on their most exciting new itineraries. Have you cruised before? I've sailed on a 3* ship and vowed, "never again".....but I'm pretty fussy. OK....very fussy.

People tend to love or hate Costa. It's a very Italian line. Here's a link to CruiseCritic reviews, which range from 5+* reviews to 1*:

cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/…

Hard to say what the target audience will be, and which nationalities will be catered to. When cruising the Mediterranean, often there are few English speakers aboard, with most being Italian, German and French. Announcements are in multiple languages. Some passengers complain waiters/stewards don't know much English. That sort of thing really bothers some travellers (like me, when I was 21) and doesn't raise the blood pressure of others (like me, now I'm 50).

Usually, Costa has two formal nights per week, and only has assigned table/time dining (not open seating, as you prefer). However, no one has ever called Costa stuffy. They tend to have very original, quite brilliant evening entertainment. Costa used to be know as a smoker's line, but changes in Italian law have brought the level of smoke down.

At least this is a much cheaper alternative!

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian Ocean

Hi Fannish

Thank you so much for all the helpful information, very much appreciated.

5. Re: Indian Ocean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:18