We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Dream

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Dream

Have just booked for next year , thinking of changing to another ship / holiday . Has anyone anything good to say about the Dream

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Dream

There is a concurrent thread running on Thomson Dream.No flattering compliments yet.

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Dream

We have only been on one cruise so far , last year with Thomson's & that was on the Calypso around the Med visiting Greece & Turkey . This year when we saw that Thomson's had a "new ship the Dream we booked a cruise straight away for next year , but having read this thread & knowing someone who has been on the Dream this year and hearing their views of the Dream we decided to cancel our cruise with Thomson & book a beach holiday instead , although it did cost us £105 in admin fees I am more than happy with the holiday we are going on now ,rather than have the disappointment of the Nightmare on board the Dream , saying this , this has made me very aware of rushing in & booking holidays without some sort of research in the first case .

Edited: 31 May 2010, 07:34
Bolton
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Dream

We also have booked the Thomson Dream for this year, the 31st August and am worried about the bad reviews. I wonder if it is too late for us to cancel?

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Dream

Take it you have booked with Thomson , when I explained about the not so good reviews the ship was getting + them trying to pusuade me to still go & me saying no the Thomson shop we were in were ok about us cancelling

Thanks ......................... Dave & Michele

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Dream

You don't have to pay the balance of the cost of your cruise until 10 weeks before departure.So unless you have already paid in full just cancel and forfeit your deposit.Alternatively pay the admin charge and transfer to another cruise on a ship where any problems are well known and not so serious as blocked toilets,interrupted water supplies,soaked carpets,lukewarm food. What Thomson should do is take Dream out of service temporarily and put her in a repair dock until she is brought up to the standards of Thomson's other ships.But they won't do that while her summer cruise programme is in full swing.So patch and mend only.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Dream

I have caught up with the reviews of Dream on Cruise Critic.The problems are even worse than I had read about on TA and via the grapevine.As I said earlier Thomson need to take the ship out of service and put her in a repair dock.They could not have imagined that the ship while Costa Europa and on her way back for the handover to Thomson would encounter such a serious accident in Egypt with the serious consequences for Thomson passengers.

I can only give my personal opinion (I have had 2 Thomson cruises on Spirit and Celebration).Given the situation if I had already paid in full for my cruise on Dream I would pay the £35pp admin fee and switch cruises.If I had paid only my deposit I would forfeit that and book an alternative holiday or cruise.

Thomson must have generated plenty of goodwill by their treatment and repatriation of stranded holidaymakers over the volcano ash.Surely they are not going to jeopardise that over Dream?

If passengers currently on the ship are disembarking mid-cruise and holding orchestrated passenger meetings/mutinies onboard just imagine what a fuss they are going to kick up when they get home.The tabloids will love it. No aircon in May could just about be be tolerated but imagine being in the Med in July and August with no functioning toilet in your cabin which has no window that can be opened and sewage smells!

Just my thoughts on this vexed sitation.

Edited: 01 June 2010, 18:00
edinburgh
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Dream

hi just been looking on this site and found the forum for the thompson dream

i too was booked to travel next month but i have cancelled given all the bad reports, i have re booked for next Feb on the island escape

i think the problem we have is that thompson took over the ship too late

before the first cruise was due to go, and had no time to do anything to it

to bring it up to their standard t

when they brought the brochure out we were on the destiny last July and the bookings were being taken on the ship for its first sailing in may

we were all informed that it was going to be refurbished and going into dry dock in oct last year and would be stunning when finished now we know that did not happen

i had to pay £35 pp to make the change after the accident in Egypt reading about it in the news i decided then not to go

my sister did a costa cruise last year and said never again so that put me off

dont be put off by the travel agents trying to tell you its a fab ship its got a long way to go before it can be anywhere near the thompson other ships

i think thompsons need to pull it out of this years sailings and get it sorted out for next year before we hear about it in the holidays from hell 2010

Musselburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Dream

Booked to go out on July - Tried to cancel at Thomson Travel agent and instead book a beach holiday instead but was told that problems had been resolved and I would lose between 80 % and 90% of the full price that I have already paid.

latest word from Thomson today is that the smell issues had been resolved

can anybody confirm if this is true !!!!!

Can someone also confirm if there is a lack of sunbeds and drink package issues has been resolved

The only reason I chose this holiday was because I was told I was going on a newly refurbished Cruise ship. Thomson biggest and most luxurious ship yet but it sounds like there has been very little refurbishment

Musselburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Dream

Booked to go out on July - Tried to cancel at Thomson Travel agent and instead book a beach holiday instead but was told that problems had been resolved and I would lose between 80 % and 90% of the full price that I have already paid.

latest word from Thomson today is that the smell issues had been resolved

can anybody confirm if this is true !!!!!

Can someone also confirm if there is a lack of sunbeds and drink package issues has been resolved

The only reason I chose this holiday was because I was told I was going on a newly refurbished Cruise ship. Thomson biggest and most luxurious ship yet but it sounds like there has been very little refurbishment

redditch
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Dream

Hello, I am booked on The Dream for tomorrow, I have tried now for 4 days to either cancel or change to another ship, and am getting nowhere Thomsons have a lot to answer to, I have also read all the dreadful reports and do really not want to go, there are 8 of us in our party and have paid £5.500 for this holiday, we have just been told that we have 2 choices we either go or we loose all of our money the choice is ours!!!!! they have told us to complain when we get there but on the criric site the passenfers already on board are being told to complain when they get home... passing the buck or what.....Shame on you Thomsons this ship should never be in service it is not fit for purpose, the passengers already there are being denied their human rights... the rights of a toilet and shower facilities not to mention the smell of sewerage that is throughout the ship...I will let you all know how things really are when I return on the 15th I will give a truthful report...