We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

If you want good food, a pleasant dining environment, and imaginative excursions don't use this river boat!! The boat was immaculate, and the small team of young girls ewre constantly keeping every surface clean. It .The cabin was a fair size, and had enough room in it, and nicely appointed. There was a Juliet Balcony, in reality a small metal overhang, allowing the cabin window to be opened full length.Food was absolutely dire, bland, pretentious, and totally unappealing. Dinner was at 7.30. By the time the pouring of the water ceremony was over and hugely over-priced drinks ordered, fodd would start coming out at about 8.00. The food was served in waves. If you ordered a Main Course with nothing before it, then you could wait up to an hour and a quarter, ( by now it could be 9.15). Every meal except Breakfast was an ordeal. The Dining Room was the worst ever for noise. People withn Hearing Aids took them out. The low ceiling was covered in metal tiles, nothing in the room was designed to absorb noise. As people enjoyed their drinks, the volume increased to unbearable heights.There were complaints. The Hotel Manager was never around checking things, but miraculaously appeared in the Bar at "Happy Hour." The so-called Maitre D. never performed any monitoring, but scurried round pouring drinks, or clutching dishes. Neither of these two individuals would last any time at all on a premium cruise ship. No space left, e-mail me if curious!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,902 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

So sorry that your cruise did not measure up and I hope you have enjoyed other river cruises so that you know that this is not representative of what you can experience. I'm curious as to who recommended this to you or what led you to book this particular ship or if you are simply comfortable with NC. Also, are you familiar with Titan Tours who sell European river cruises? I've heard that they are good....are they?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

Hello CapeCodCharlie! Thought I'd return the 'visit' and see what you're up to on the Cruise forum!

We would love to take a European River Cruise. What's your first recommendation?

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

We did one cruise booked through Noble Caledonia Waterways of the Tsars. It was excellent, and on a Viking Ship. Sadly, we thought we would get the same experience on NC own (leased) ship. Sadly, not. NC are generally only booking agents who charge a huge premium sometimes for the privilege of booking through them. We are not new to cruising anyway, and have used (and discarded) providers that do not measure up. Yes, there are some out there! NC have been deleted! We have done another trip with Viking, and found them excellent. This was booked through Saga, and saved quite a bit on the package that way. We would use Viking again. The message is check all providers that cruise where you are planning to go, see if it a sub-contract or company owned, and definitely check with Trip Advisor. There are lots of providers out there, you need to do a lot of homework, I wish we had, rather than rely on our first excellent river cruise with NC.

Titan sub-contract ships I think. You need to read the small print, and check with Titan if it is an all-brit ship if that is what you want, or open to all. We have always found the Titan team very helpful, and have good product knowledge.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,902 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

That was my understanding about Titan too (that they are a quality co. and with home pick up too) but mine is a US perspective and you are in their market.

5. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 08:43
UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

Well, Ghana was on a birding tour with accommodation arranged by the Birding Tour operator (who travelled out with the rest of us incidentally). We then found out that he had not done a pre-tour visit to check things out as he normally did on a brand new tour. He had just relied on the agent's word.

NC was booked because we had a great river cruise in Russia, as explained in posting number 3. Whether I am wealthy, retired, or a backpacking student is totally irrelevant. I am a student of the University of Life.

7. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 08:43
Edited: 22 February 2015, 08:43
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

We have just returned from the East of Budapest cruise (3rd Oct to 18th Oct) on the MS Johanne Strauss. We don't recognise your criticisms at all and we cannot speak too highly of the boat, the facilities and all the staff and most of the passengers. We, and the people we met had an excellent time.

Tim and Mary Hoyle

shropshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

I am looking to book a NC River cruise on the Johann Strauss Budapest to Amsterdam. and I am concerned at the negative post. I have been on a River Cruise with Swan Hellenic (excellent) and whilst I know that it will not be a deluxe ship and that food is limited by the Cooking Galley is there anyone who can allay my fears?

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Noble Caledonia River Cruise on Johann Strauss August 2010

I wrote exactly as we found it. We were on the ship for over 3 weeks across Europe. Experiences are down to expectations, and what was experienced. The other trip we did to Russia with NC was excellent on a ship run by Viking Cruises.You may find, as the previous poster did, that things suit you. We have done lots of cruises with Swan Hellenic on Minerva and Minerva 2, and have no reason to think the River Cruise would be different. People we know are taking up their concerns about the same cruise we were on. Issues may already have been addressed. We had discussions with the Senior Staff on board about the volume of noise in the acoustically poor Dining Room, and the way the Dining Room was managed. They were aware of things. The size of the Galley determines how things were served. if you know this in advance, then you are prepared for it. There will be time for others to post their reply.