We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MSC Splendida

Meath
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
MSC Splendida

Was wondering what are the extra charges on board? Was thinking about using the gym, is it at extra cost?

159 replies to this topic
Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MSC Splendida

I did not travel with MSC Fantasia yet but i will end of December. From what i read in other ciritics, you have free access to pools, hot tubs, gym, theather (for shows), but you need to pay the access to the spa area (sauna and hamam), also the 4D movie and formula1 simulator. At least that is valid for the cruises on Mediterranean from Italy. Maybe someone that already travel can confirm?

I also have a question, do you know if they are friendly with people travelling solo? my friend may have to cancel the trip, so i don t think i can replace with someone else his reservation, right? I didnt purchase any insurance from them. Thanks.

Windhoek, Namibia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: MSC Splendida

i have just returned from a trip wit msc

never ever again, unless you enjoy being ripped off

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MSC Splendida

i have just returned from a trip wit msc / never ever again, unless you enjoy being ripped off.

=========================================================

can you please explain why?

'being ripped off' could mean being over charged for lunch in New York City, which is often the case ..... and I have no intentions of returning there either!!

Are there area's that others should be warned about / area's to look out for?

Have heard many (negative) comments on MSC lines inc Splendida, but mostly from US based cruisers who have no idea about travel in Asia, Europe etc and expect everything to be the 'same as home'.

So am trying to gain some sort of knowledge prior to my cruise. Not that it would stop me from going of course as we are easy going and don't let too many things bother us ..... but it is interesting to note other comments and how people react to different things on board and what we should be aware of too.

thanx.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MSC Splendida

Thankyou I also would like to know what was it that was a rip off as we are going on a Mediteranean cruise in May.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MSC Splendida

We have just returned from an MSC Splendida cruise. The boat is very good and you can enjoy the cruise if you lower your expectations in respect of customer service, have a positive and resourceful attitude, and do your homework in advance on the places you will visit. MSC's organisation is very poor, and when on the boat, apart from meals (which were good) they charge for most things. The gym is an exception and is very good, and usually empty.

Overall I won't travel with MSC again, but if you have already booked with them, don't despair, since the boat is fab', the rooms great, the showers excellent, and the food is good. It's just that these Italian's have no idea about organisation, don't give a stuff about customer service, and want to charge you for everything - although in fairness the charges are not excessive.

The worst aspect was the transfer home. Our flight (organised through Thomas Cook) left from Nice at 9pm, but they clear the whole boat out in Genova by 9.30pm on the Sunday, which meant that we were dumped in the airport some 7 hours earlier than required - with no explanation or apology. Thankfully we worked out that you can check your bags into storage and pick up a short ride into Nice for 4 Euro return on the number 98 bus. We had a delightful and unplanned afternoon in Nice with which to finish the holiday.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MSC Splendida

MSC doesn't have free coffee/tea/water 24 x 7, the buffet opens for breakfast, lunch and tea only, tap water isn' t readily available, room service is free only for breakfast. All ships I have been on charge for the spa.

I don't know why MSC doesn't increase the fare a little and have the buffet open for longer in the afternoon and offer free tea/coffee when the buffet is open.

If you go for a morning excursion and return for a late lunch, tea at 4.00 is too early and if you have second sitting dinner it's a long wait. If you do a full day's excursion you return too late for tea.

But I don't think it's a rip off. It's an Italian ship and most probably the Italians are not the type to eat 24 x 7.

By the way this was in the Med. as it's different in the US.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MSC Splendida

Thanks for your feedback I will take what you said on board.

Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MSC Splendida

Hello,

I am just back from venice on MSC Magnifica (it is similar on other MSC ships). No charges on gym or pool/jacuzzi inside or outside on the boat. You only pay access to Aurea Spa (sauna, jacuzzi etc), around 16 euro/1 hour or 12 eur if special deals sometimes. But you pay 7 euro per person service charge, added on your bill end of the cruise. During the school holidays it is very busy,as kids under 18 travel free (except some taxes). I found however that the excursions they offer are a bit expensive, you can do some cities on your own cheaper and the stops in ports too short sometimes. Have fun!

u.k.
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MSC Splendida

Hi

Back from cruise MSC Spendida 10th to 17th April. Ship very nice decor, rooms good standard. Entertainment childish and poor. Staff grumpy as no-one buys their seriously expensive drinks. People just sit in ship bars with just a coffee or nothing at all because of prices. Rip off prices incur a 15% service charge for absolutely everything plus 7 euros added daily per person to bill. Buffet food (when open -not always) repetitive, boring, cold. Dining room food not suitable for young children and on one Gala night the alternative buffet is not open, so no choice and grandchildren went hungry that night!! For children the entertainment is very limited unless you are Italian. The entertainment around the pool area felt like a 60's holiday camp.

Excursions expensive and rip off transfer charges for a coach out of the port to town when too far to walk which is often the case. We have been on many cruises and this is by far the worst cruise ever and would not recommend any of the MSC cruises to any of our friends!! Prices need to be lowered, service charge policy is wrong ( you should only reward for good service, which is clearly not the case). Surly attitudes need to change. There should be free tea/coffee facilities as on other cruise ships.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
502 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MSC Splendida

Hi, hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread but I'm thinking of a cruise this November on The Splendida. I was just wondering what do you pay the 15% service charge for, could I have an example please? Also what price is the tea, coffee, soft drinks?

Reply to: MSC Splendida
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions