We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Cruises

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Cruises

Hi

We have been on 3 Thomson Cruises and have always booked in time to receive the free upgrade to all inclusive - however this year we are hoping to go on one but will have to pay for the drinks package which is £398 for two people.

Does anyone know how much the drinks onboard are, eg whisky and mixer? Is it worth paying for the drinks package, we don't want a nasty shock at the end of the week when we get our bar bill. Also, is it still possible to upgrade at the port before embarking, and if so, is this cheaper than taking out the drinks package when booking?

Thanks!

Sally, Burton on Trent

Chester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Cruises

Hi!

We Came off the Thomson Dream yesterday.... It was fantastic!! but to answer your question... We were wondering about doing the all inclusive package but we have found that the prices were about pub pricing £3.20 per pint and £3.40 for the cocktail of the day, £3.70 for a glass of wine. We drank every night and most nights ended in the club...We came well in under the cost of the all inclusive. roughly £100 under the cost you have been quoted. Unless you are going to drink all day every day and probably not get off the ship for excursions I would find it extremely difficult to get through that amount.

You can also check on your balance with the reception too. I am not sure about the upgrade when you get to the port but I think this would probably have to be done through reception as when we got there we literally had our photos taken and then went through to the ship.

Have a fab time...

Becky.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Cruises

Thanks very much Becky, that's great x

Kent
Level Contributor
12 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Cruises

Due on the Dream Treasures of the mediterranean in july never done a cruise before was wondering how much the trips are and whether any of the stops have places to go without paying.?Not sure if its this cruise you went on though.Thanks

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Cruises

I am going with a partner on Thomson Dream Christmas Getaway and we would like to know just what is the dress code?

Had reports that nobody really dresses for up dinner and do not want to look stupid dressed to kill!!

Just need to know if I can use my cruise gear or forget it and pack smart casual.

Kent
Level Contributor
12 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Cruises

We were wondering about dress too for men on the Dream cruise, whether or not my husband needs to take a suit? We were told no posh clothes but not sure whether that just means no dinner suits or perhaps any suits or jackets?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Cruises

For formal nights a man's lounge suit with collared shirt and tie would be quite acceptable.For my first few cruises including QM2 transatlantic I took onboard a dinner suit, dress shirts and bow ties.But then seeing what was happening I started taking a black/charcoal lounge suit and I felt more comfortable and did not feel at all out of place.Anyone want to buy 4 white dress shirts 18 collar worn once? Cruising is dumbing down.

Newcastle upon...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Cruises

We have just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Thomson Dream - Mederterranean Medley and Treasures of the Medittaranean. Destinations fantastic. Most within walking distance; Shuttle bus provided for centre of Civitavecvhia, port for Rome, where you can catch a train for a 45 minutes journey to Rome. Thomson provide street maps and will point out places of interest for you and they provide you with 'Cruise News' which informs you of destinations and everything that is goind on, on the ship during day and evening which is great!

Regarding drinks, on the second week of our voyage we were informed that there would be a small increase in bar prices, resulting in a 25p increase in pints of lager and bitter to £3.75 pt. Also bottled and canned beers £3.75; Bulmers Cideer 568 ml £3.95/Strongbow £3.75; Special coffees £4.10; Cocktails £4.35. This was done without any explanation!

We did not have a drinks package, but it is important to check what is included and what is not. None were available when we booked in March. However, those who booked 'last minute' were given reductions in the brochure price as well as drink packages! Very unfair. Feel we were subsiding these passengers.

Also ignore the brochure informing you that safety deposit boxes in your room are 'free'. You will be charged £15 for 1 week or £25 for 2 weeks. Explanation being "because we do this on our other shps". The excursions are very expensive eg Rome £109!

Having been on 3 Thomson cruises, we feel they are becoming 'greedy' and will in effect price themselves out of the market. Royal Carribean sail from Palma also and we will be looking at other cruise lines.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Cruises

Not for one moment would I defend Thomson Cruises (especially with their chequered history with Dream).However if you think Thomson prices for drinks,shuttle transfers and excursions are on the high side be prepared for a massive shock on Royal Caribbean.That is one cruise line that knows how to charge. I have cruised on 2 of their ships in Europe in the last 18 months as well as on 2 Thomson ships so I can speak from my own experience.

Much nicer ships than Thomson (because they are newer) but not everything on RC is better than Thomson.And the lead-in price for a Thomson cruise is lower than RC.

Kent
Level Contributor
12 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Cruises

Just returned from our fantastic first cruise on The Dream cannot fault anything we loved it staff,cabin,food,entertainment all great.We enjoyed all the ports of call did do trips to Rome, Sorrento and Pompei which were all good.The only night you had to wear a suit was the captains cocktail party otherwise just smart was fine but some people just went to the buffet restaurants where you could wear anything but we enjoyed the waiter service in the Orion restaurant in the evenings, fantastic.Drinks on board were quite reasonable and wine in restaurant too.

Edited: 04 August 2011, 11:37
uk
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Cruises

I am thinking of booking the caribbean treasures (dream) and also thinking of upgrading to a grande suite. Does anyone know if these are the highest upgrade of rooms you can do? Also worried about the reviews of dream. But can't find any relating to the caribbean, just the med. Is it the same ship?

Cheers