We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noble Caledonia

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Noble Caledonia

I read with incredulity the e mails about Noble Caledonia. I have travelled with them on innumerable occasions both as an individual and as a group leader with our church holiday fellowship All trips have been hugely enjoyable with interesting itineraries, good food and delightful staff. Milganne

68 replies to this topic
West Sussex
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noble Caledonia

When everything goes OK then Noble Caledonia are OK and yes they do offer some good trips.

It's when things go wrong that the failings of Noble Caledonia come to light. I have written to Noble Caledonia 4 times about significant problems on an Alaska trip I thought they would want to know about for future holidays in this location. They simply don't answer. I think the MD has a second job as the invisble man!

I've come to the conclusion they think they are far more important than their customers. We won't be going on another NC trip until we get a response.

Dubai
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Noble Caledonia

just done Sea Cloud II in Central America with them. Ship was great but the cruise was a disaster. Ports weren't ready to receive us, not enough spaces on the flights, bookings at high rates in low class hotels and an "emergency line" answered by a woman who had not a clue. And the reward for the worst 20,000 pounds ever spent? "We invite you to book again through us and receive a 10% discount". Our advice - NEVER AGAIN

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Noble Caledonia

thanks for your message. I had a hunch not to book Noble Caledonia and you just confirmed it. I'm in the US and they wouldn't even respond to my TAs request for info.

Claverdon, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noble Caledonia

I have just found this posting and have to confess that we are Noble Caledonia regulars. Sailing on Island Sky and Sea Cloud 2 we have always had excellent holidays. Well organised, good value though expensive because of what is included - most tours, usually gratuities, drinks with lunch and dinner, tour guide, guest speakers etc .

They come to fore when things aren't going to plan and then go the extra mile.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Noble Caledonia

We had never been on a cruise before and were a little apprehensive about what to expect when we set off for a Danube Cruise on the MS Johann Strauss courtesy of Noble Caledonia. The ship, food, service and attention to detail were superb. Well organised but not regimented. A wonderful relaxing way to see the towns and cities on the Danube.The cruise surpassed all expectations and we will certainly holiday this way again in the very near future.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
12 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Noble Caledonia

Wow, such divergent views. My British colleague just hooked me up with Noble Caledonia's web site. She's done 2 cruises: Madagascar and Volga River. She had only good things to say. I think that Brits and Americans have different expectations and different tolerance for sh**. The ability to adapt to unexpected problems and maintain the highest level of service is a sign of a great tour company. Perhaps Noble Caledonia is good, but not great.

White River, South...
Level Contributor
95 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Noble Caledonia

We have just returned from cruising around Svalbard in the Arctic on the Quest. I am unsure how it all works as I was not very involved in the booking arrangements. I think that Noble Caledonia arrange the bookings, but the cruise is arranged by Polar Quest.

Firstly the cruise was absolutely fantastic and magical. The entire crew on board and particularly the qualified and experienced guides were a delight to be with. We had a wondeful time and learnt a great deal. How about a restaurant staff that sings to the entire ship (50 passengers) to lure them to dinner?!

My experience is that the Noble Caledonia part of this is the weakest link. To be fair there were no major problems, but "could do better" is approproate.

We were a group of about 20, travelling from 2 different countries. Our e-tickets arrived only days before the trip.(although we had been given the flight details earlier). There appeared to have been little interaction or thought put into how to design the best way to get in and out of Longyearbyen (the start of the cruise). There are flight limitations but I do not think that the best way form South Africa is necessarily via London and am flumoxed as to why we then had to spend a night in Oslo and a day and a half in Longyearbyen before the cruise. On the way out we had to leave Longyearbyen at 4.40am and then wait in Oslo for 6 hours before a flight to London and connecting onwards.

There was a Noble Caledonia person at each airport on the way in, but they really did nothing for us, and gave us no information about Oslo or Longyearbyen.

On reflection I would suggest active involvement with these arrangements, or even making them all yourself...but then one wonders what value is added by N.C.

Bolton
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Noble Caledonia

We are about to embark on our 10th. cruise with NC in December and we have nothing but praise for them, yes the office may be inefficient but once onboard they are terrific and if problems arise they go the extra mile to mitigate them. When we have had reason to complain this has always been resolved amicably which is more than I can say for other companies like Swan Hellenic, which is the 'WORLDS WORST' and who are also the worst purveyors of food that I have ever come across on a cruise ship, which includes the former Russian 'Spy Ships' which were very basic.

Bolton
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Noble Caledonia

We are about to embark on our 10th. cruise with NC in December and we have nothing but praise for them, yes the office may be inefficient but once onboard they are terrific and if problems arise they go the extra mile to mitigate them. When we have had reason to complain this has always been resolved amicably which is more than I can say for other companies like Swan Hellenic, which is the 'WORLDS WORST' and who are also the worst purveyors of food that I have ever come across on a cruise ship, which includes the former Russian 'Spy Ships' which were very basic.

colchester
Level Contributor
3 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Noble Caledonia

We have been on 3 Noble Caledonian trips this year and will not be booking more ( all were booked foolishly at the same time). Their London office is a shambles, all replies to complaints are unfortunately lost in the post so you have to keep persevering with your complaints and we have had them on each trip. They are expensive and they don't stack up to it. On the Volga cruise we got a meagre lunch when out on excursions. On the recent French trip they materially changed the itinerary, knew in advance they were doing so but failed to tell anyone, even on the cruise itself until challenged. When they use other providers those parts seem well run. Find out who they use and book direct.

Reply to: Noble Caledonia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted