We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HA Statendam.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
HA Statendam.

We're going to book a cruise on the Statendam from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale. we will be staying in a oceanview cabin and would like to know if the front [Bow] or rear [Aft] part of the ship should be preferred. Can anybody enlighten me on this ship and the ports that it visits. Thanks.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HA Statendam.

In general, mid ship is best, but more people have problems with the kind of motion you get at the front of a ship, rather than the kind you get at the back.

However, I know Statendam very well. She has some specific problem cabins you should avoid:

A deck - category FF cabins at the stern (819 - 833; 834 - 848) get pretty much constant engine noise and vibration. Avoid.

Forward cabins (700 - 715) get bow wave noise (water hitting the ship), anchor chain noise, bow thruster noise. Both the thrusters and anchor get used when the ship docks in port, 0: dark hundred. Th first time I heard bow thruster noise it didn't just wake me up, I rolled out of bed flat on the floor. Thought the ship was in trouble.

Main deck: forward L, H, G cabins (500 - 509, 510) also get thruster and anchor chain noise. 515 and 516 seem to be OK, except they only have portholes instead of picture windows.

Lower promenade deck.

Most cabins with obstructed view have lifeboats hanging in front of them. That's not why cabins are obstructed on this ship. Take a look at this photo:

boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php…

See where there's a shadow all the way across the deck? Caused by part of the ship's superstructure (steel wall) which means the cabins facing those sections can't see past the walking deck, over the rail and to the sea. In HH cabins, view is blocked (or part blocked in DD ones), but still get plenty of light. BTW - those windows are one way glass - can't see in during the day. When lit from behind at night, you need to pull the curtains.

I don't mind these cabins at all, but some people are creeped out by the idea of people walking past their window.

However, 2 of the cabins are truly obstructed by a crew stairway. I've spent far too long trying to find out which - just can't find the photos I'm looking for tonight. I think they're port side - 312/314

Some of the outside cabins on the starboard side of this deck are noisy because they're under the galley, and the crew cleans and uses some of the storerooms there at all hours, including when passengers sleep. Problem area is starboard, cabins 365 - 383 approximately. Cabins on the port don't seem as affected - minor noise, by comparison.

If you want more info and pictures of cabins, take a look at Joanie's excellent website with HAL cabin pictures:

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Don't just look at Statendam. Her sister ships Maasdam, Ryndam, and Veendam are almost identical. Take a look at those photos, too.

I'm very fond of some of the inside cabins on Statendam, like the J's on lower prom deck which are less that 25 steps away from "the biggest balcony on the ship". Compared with most lines/ships, many Statendam inside cabins are huge.

However, I'm not familiar with most of these ports. Hope someone else can help with that.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 05:57
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HA Statendam.

Wow, what a mine of imformation. l must first thank you for speding the time to help me out. The Statendam fits into our time frame, that is why we picked it. The rooms offered were 717, 829, 831, 833, 846 and 848.l'm leaning towards 717 but l believe its on the starboard side of the ship. What do you think. Thanks Steve.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HA Statendam.

**Definitely** 717!

Starboard is not a problem down on A deck.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 18:08
Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HA Statendam.

Here is a photo of 712 - exactly the same cabin, but on the port side:

…topcities.com/HAL/Veendam/Veendam-FF712.JPG

Picture taken by friends John and Carol (actually from Veendam, but ships are identical)

You will *probably* get bow wave noise in that cabin while the ship is travelling at night, when you're in bed. Depends on wave/water conditions. This noise bothered John. he said no anchor or thruster noise - take that off your list of possible problems.

In my opinion, bow wave is much less of a problem than engine noise/vibration, which you would definitely get all the time.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 18:24
Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HA Statendam.

Sorry - meant you would definitely get engine vibration/noise in any of the OTHER possible cabins - NOT in 717. That's want makes 717 better, IMO. Prefer possible water noise to definite engine noise. Have I finally made sense, LOL?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HA Statendam.

Done and Dusted, 717 it is and again thanks a bunch for your input. Steve.

7. Re: HA Statendam.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 03:16