We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Topic
carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

We have cruised on Royal Caribbean previously & really enjoy the entertainment & activities on that cruise line. We have tried Princess cruises & found it to be more laid back and not as many fun activities as Royal Caribbean. We are looking at going in March to the caribbean and are considering Royal Caribbean or Carnival cruises.

Does anyone know if Carnival is compareable to Royal Caribbean. Or is Carnival more suited to people with children? We are in our 40's.

105 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

Out of 12 cruises that we have already taken and one reserved for next yr, we have cruised 5 times with RCI and only once with Carnival. We will never again cruise with Carnival. The atmosphere was mainly full of drunk people and a lot of kids running around in addition to teens being teens without adult supervision. (we too are in our 40's). I dont care if people are drunk, just dont be loud, obnoxious and be walking around without proper clothing. We also did not enjoy having breakfast and lunch while listening to mothers yelling at their kids.

That was our experience, it doesnt mean that it may or may not happen in all their cruises. The ship we took was the Destiny. It has an awful smell of sewage as you were going to the dining area. I thought this was only going to apply to this particular ship, but I read on cruise critic someone making that same complaint about one of their new ships. The food was definitely not up to par with other cruise lines we have taken.

Overall we did not like our experience with Carnival and will not cruise with them again.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 23:55
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

You already found what you like. How about just pumping up the experience and chose Allure or Oasis?

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

JMR, if you are still interested, we did Carnival (Magic) Western Med this year. And will be the last time with Carnival. We thought a brand new ship would have a lot to offer but were really disappointed. One does not see the ocean at all unless one is out on the outside decks, every corridor is closed in, & there's no atrium to speak of. Layout of the ship is very badly planned because you have to know exactly where evrything is located- front vs the back, and then take appropriate set of elevators. Some decks can't be crossed from one side to another. Apart from this, the entertainment was tacky and comedy shows seemed forced. Only food & rooms/ toilets were good. We have cruised with RCI twice before, and on far older ships. We had really enjoyed the experience because of the open spaces, most walkways/pathways & floor to ceiling glass windows have great views of the ocean, and a huge multi storey atrium.

My advise, stick with RCI.

Oshawa
Level Contributor
309 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

Hi,

Write me back in February, because we are six time Royal Carib cruisers, and in Feb, we are going on Carnival for first time ever [Victory out of San Juan].

I've read good things so far, but the proof is in the pudding, or in the balcony stateroom, main dining room, buffet, pool, theatre, etc., etc., you get the picture.

We chose Carnival because of the excellent itinerary, and their excellent pricing, which for some reason this year, RCI could just not touch. We have sailed on Serenade and Navigator a couple of times each and they seem to have skyrocketed in price. We've been booked for a few months now.

My advice today? Just book it and then you'll know. I've read every review I could find, and although some folks are quite detailed, I figure you just gotta see for yourself to really know. So I'll have my answers in about 45 days.

cheers!

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

I am in the same dilemma with RCI-unsuitable itinerary- for my Norway fiords cruise in May. Am looking at Celebrity/Costa/Princess, but treading carefully before deciding! We were on a family reunion (23 people) on Magic and though we had a good time(everyone else was a first time cruiser), I was disappointed.

Good luck and post a review whenever!!

have fun.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

Been on both and LOVED both, we had NO problems on either. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
13 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

In Royal Caribean if you are Latin, you would get the worst place at Dining Room, in Oasis kitchen was 4 minutes from LATIN Tables, so food was cool, waiters angry and we were at the end of dining room.

Is that a way to enjoy feeling segregated and classified as dog razes?

Never say you are Latin at Royal Caribean...

Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

hi there, did you go on your cruise with Carnival? Would you still travel with them after the italian cruise accident? i have booked a cruise for 2013 royal carribean 2013 (never cruised before- now nervious) I would love to hear from you... cheers, Non

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

no not yet, but would'nt hesitate to cruise again...would you stop flying for fear of plane crashes? And there've been more planes crashes than cruise mishaps-this was prob first major one after Titanic. Having said that, I would have second thoughts about Costa (and the Carnival corp which owns Costa)....things are still not too clear but they have apparently been flouting norms, safety procedures (no drill) and crew are not trained to handle emergencies. Worst is, the captain deserted ship. Unthinkable!!!

Oshawa
Level Contributor
309 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises

Hi Folks,

Well, if you're still interested, we just got back from Carnival Victory's February 12-19 itinerary, and we were very pleased overall. The room service, room attendants and dining room staff were all very attentive and top notch. We had a great, clean, comfortable balcony on the 9th deck. Super hard working Cam and Agos kept our stateroom in great shape. The room was spacious as was the washroom. We enjoyed all of the meals onboard, lacking for nothing. Dining room staff Rui and Andy were top notch. The ship's entertainment was very good, great singers and dancers, lots of variety, things to do, comedy shows, karaoke, even a huge outdoor movie screen at night. Lots of snacks around the clock. How does it compare to Royal Caribbean or Celebrity? Very well actually. We'll certainly go Carnival again without hesitation. Ours was an active and busy cruise itinerary, and yet there were people of all ages, seniors included, so just saying they only suit young people is misleading. We had no bad experiences, so it's unfortunate that some people have slagged this cruise line by experiencing some drunken behaviour. We didn't see it. I realized this isn't a detailed review, but I simply wish to extend my appreciation to Carnival for a good cruise experience and let them know that they certainly deserve high marks for the work they do.

Reply to: carnival cruises vs royal caribbean cruises
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted