We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

This month I am going on a cruise and have one day to spend in Dunedin. Can anyone advise me if their is any sort of transport at Port Chalmers??? Also being on a budget some cheap activities to do and what sort of transport to use.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

Your best bet is probably the Cruisecritic forum.

www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=241

We did this cruise a few years back with HollandAmerica. Loved it but the ships tours were amazingly expensive. As we were a group of four we organised our own at a much more reasonable price.

Cruisecritic is a very helpful resource, with a lot more information than this secret forum.

If you want access to all the information available you`ll have to join. Even though the link is on TA it`s totally separate.

When you click cruises it the cruisecritic site you go to.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 05:18
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

Thanks, thats a great website

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

A port review that might be of help: www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=241

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

Which ship will you be on Colleen?

We were on one of the Princess ships when we cruised from Auckland to Sydney and at the wharf, we shared a taxi into Dunedin - around 15-20 mins away. There were also public buses but we had just missed one.

However on the return journey we caught the public bus .. from memory it was just near a supermarket near the Cadbury's Factory.

I don't know if you've worked out what to do in Dunedin, but we went to the tourist bureau, got a map and did a lot of walking !!

http://www.dunedinnz.com/visit/home.aspx

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

Thanks for that. We will be on the Pacific Dawn. I am working on each port, the next one will be Akaroa. The public bus or taxi to the city sounds great.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

I'd write the tourist bureau to see if the public bus still runs and get the timetable too. I'm sure it would as there were plenty of locals on board who were on the bus and went most of the way (that I recall) to the wharf.

In Akaroa, I would imagine it would be a tender port.

You could probably arrange a private shore excursion there to see the Dolphins or perhaps diving etc - http://www.akaroa.com/fpnew/fastpage/fpengine.php/pdscr[7]/125/templateid/403/searchx/1/cachedis/1/menid/7.

The town ship itself was just lovely quaint little seaside town when we visited, ideal for wandering around and taking photos or sitting back and relaxing with something the eat.

The township has a French influence as the French showed up just a matter of days after the English did.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 22:06
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

Sorry, the link won't work - just copy it into your browser and go from there.

8. Re: Dunedin Nz...arrival on cruise ship for one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:28