We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question for RCI experts

mumbai
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Topic
question for RCI experts

hello all,

very keen to experience a cruise for the 1st time in life. my wife in me both mid 30's along with our son who would be 4 and a half yrs old will be traveling and we maybe maybe joined by friends. we've assumed a 7 day cruise would suit us best and have decided to go for the western med region.

the options we've found are as follows:

1. $649 - adventure of the seas from malaga (2nd may '12)

2. $1049 - mariner on the seas from civitavecchia ( 9th june '12)

3. $1249 - liberty of the seas from barcelona ( 2nd june '12)

now i hear the liberty is the best amongst the 3 available options but almost double the cost of adventure.

also we prefer going in may than in june (no liberty option in may) but if some experienced travellers would be kind enough to inform me if it is worth paying such a huge difference in amount for the liberty then we would go in for it and also change our plans to june rather than may. also since we've travelled before quite a bit of europe a number of times, our focus is not necessarily on the ports we are docking at but moreso on the quality of the cruise experience. our focus is to make this a fantastic experience for our son as well.

also my other query is there a big difference in the sleeping/stay experience between the inside cabins to the outside or balcony?

your valued inputs would go a long way in making our 1st experience pleasurable and memorable.

thank you!

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,030 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question for RCI experts

Courtesy of www.CruiseCheap.com, some cabin info, category by category:

cruisecheap.com/ships/royal-caribbean-cruise…

Mariner has the poorest values in cabins for inside, promenade and outside. Under or just 160 square feet? Yuck!

Adventure has nicely size 180 square feet outside (no balcony) cabins, both standard and larger.

Liberty's handful of larger family inside staterooms are exceptionally roomy!

Mariner and Liberty tie for the best sized deluxe (cheaper balcony) cabins, 180 square feet PLUS balcony.

180 square foot cabin (without balcony) is my gold standard. I won't book anything smaller.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 20:28
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question for RCI experts

Went on the Mariner of the Seas last year to the Mexican Riviera... Ship was fantastic, large, very good food, fantastic entertainment... Couldn't fault the ship at all.... Perfect.

Regards Bob & Chris.

Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
302 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question for RCI experts

I have not been to Europe on rcl but I gave been on 8 cruises with them including adventurer and liberty. Mariner is a sister ship of adventurer so very similar layout. Half of those were with our kids but they are much older than 4!

The liberty is newer and slightly larger. It has a flowrider which your son might bogeyboard on but otherwise amenities similar though liberty has a better kids pool area if he might hang here.

No matter which you choose have him try the kids clubs! My girls were teens and loved them and you could participate as much as you like but it will give you as a couple some time and he'll make some buddies

I also would recommend a balcony if you can swing it. Though you can get the same views from on deck it's just nice watching the ocean or pulling into or out of ports relaxing on the deck. Plus it gives you a spot to go to if your son heads to sleep before you.

For me the itinerary would win over ship but sounds like you are more interested in the ship.... So I vote liberty!

Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
302 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question for RCI experts

I have not been to Europe on rcl but I gave been on 8 cruises with them including adventurer and liberty. Mariner is a sister ship of adventurer so very similar layout. Half of those were with our kids but they are much older than 4!

The liberty is newer and slightly larger. It has a flowrider which your son might bogeyboard on but otherwise amenities similar though liberty has a better kids pool area if he might hang here.

No matter which you choose have him try the kids clubs! My girls were teens and loved them and you could participate as much as you like but it will give you as a couple some time and he'll make some buddies

I also would recommend a balcony if you can swing it. Though you can get the same views from on deck it's just nice watching the ocean or pulling into or out of ports relaxing on the deck. Plus it gives you a spot to go to if your son heads to sleep before you.

For me the itinerary would win over ship but sounds like you are more interested in the ship.... So I vote liberty!

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question for RCI experts

I just returned from the Adventure of the seas cruise. It was my first cruise & I was very impressed.

The entertainment was amazing...cruise director Richard was hilarious!!

The food was wonderful, I think I gained 10lbs...lol Our dining room waiter, Raymond and his assistant Omar were friendly & informative.

Loved it!! I'm ready to go back :)

I spoke to many people who were vacationing with their children & they said the kids club was wonderful & gave them a chance to enjoy some adult time.

Level Contributor
113 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question for RCI experts

If you can afford it, I would select the Liberty. They offer the best children's activities for your son. Liberty has a pool called the H2O Water Park that is so much fun for children. Your son and his friends will love it. All three ships are nice, but Liberty has an edge over the others for children's activities, and it is a larger ship. You and your wife will enjoy the Liberty, too. It is a beautiful, beautiful ship.

Level Contributor
113 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question for RCI experts

Forgot to mention that Barcelona is an easy port for departure. Port is right at the city's edge with very easy access. Safe, too.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
392 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question for RCI experts

We've been on Adventure and Liberty, both are fantastic ships, Liberty just edges it as she is a newer ship but for the price difference I would choose Adventure and use the savings for excursions etc, one thing to factor in if you like to enjoy a drink, when sailing from a spanish port and returning to a spanish port the cruiseline will add 8% spanish VAT onto purchases, this is on top of the 15% gratuity that is already added, no a deal breaker but something to think about. Happy cruising whichever way you decide.

9. Re: question for RCI experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:16