We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aftermath of Costa Concordia

Level Contributor
67 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Aftermath of Costa Concordia

What changes do you think will be made by the Cruise industry following this terrible incident ?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

No changes from regulations as such.But total adherence to maritime law would be reassuring.Eg evacuation drill for all passengers on day of embarkation. I must say that this was always the case on the Thomson,Princess,Celebrity and Cunard ships we have cruised on.

Level Contributor
67 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

We have only cruised three times. All with Princess. Must say we felt safe at all times

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

Keeping to the planned route would be a good start!!

Level Contributor
67 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

Still shocked that the detour was made ! It's like he thought he was on his own little day trip

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

I'm wondering if the insurance costs will go up and have a flow on effect to prices in the cruising industry.

But above all, I would expect some major changes in the Costa line re: safety drills, communication, evacuation procedures and appropriate training of all personnel.

On P&O Australia, if there are any serious incidents on board, it's my understanding that a report is prepared and sent around to all the ships in the fleet within a short space of time to ensure that those ship's masters are aware of the incident, measures taken to resolve it and if they could do better next time.

That kind of action from Costa would gives me some kind of reassurance that I would be in safe hands.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

Your prayers have been answered Dougo.Announced today that Carnival have set up a total review of their safety and evacuation procedures under the supervision of an experienced captain.The review is to cover all cruise lines under the Carnival umbrella.The company conceded that Costa was found wanting when passengers who arrived at lifeboat muster stations were ordered by crew to return to their Concordia cabins.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,068 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

I saw that as well, WS. I also read that reinsurance will cover a lot of the losses, and that Carnival had a very large deducible on many of the insured risks.

"The company has insurance for damage to the vessel, with a deductible of about $US30 million as well as insurance for third- party personal injury liability subject to an additional deductible of about $US10 million for this incident, according to a Jan. 16 statement.

Carnival self-insures for loss of use of the vessel."

Read more: smh.com.au/travel/…ixzz1jzmcAeh5

Edited: 20 January 2012, 11:07
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

Thank goodness for that ... it doesn't really surprise me that procedures will be reviewed etc - can you imagine the backlash if they didn't review all lines under the Carnival umbrella? There's always room for improvement.

Forgive my ignorance, but is a deductable the same as "excess" ?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

Yes.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aftermath of Costa Concordia

I was looking at a review of an MSC cruise, and I read that the muster drill is optional! All the cruises I've been on to date have had compulsory drills prior to leaving the first port, so I was very surprised at this.

Also I'd like to think that passengers attending the muster drill might now take it a little more seriously!

Suzie