We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash account

yorkshire
Level Contributor
715 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
cash account

hi all we were thinking of putting a cash amount down on board roughly $450 for a week as we dont have a credit card does this sound reasonable for drinks and maybe odd trip x

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,755 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cash account

Most cruise lines have a certain amount that they REQUIRE you to put down.

IF you don't use it up you get it back.

You need to ask your cruise line what amount they prefer per day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cash account

On a couple of lines I've been on, if you intend to pay by cash, they want you to be ahead by a certain amount all the time.

For example, you put down $450 for the week, but (as an example) they may want your account to be in credit by $250 all the time.

So as soon as you spend more than $250, you MAY be blocked from putting more on your cruise card / account until you make up the difference so that you are back in credit over and beyond $250.

As for whether or not $450 is a reasonable amount for the week - it's hard to say as we don't know what you like to drink, roughly how many drinks per person per day, if you like specialty teas and coffees etc. Nor do we know where you are cruising to, which cruise line you'll be on and which shore excursions you are likely to do.

If you give us some more details, we may be able to help you with more detailed information.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 23:22
yorkshire
Level Contributor
715 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cash account

thanks for that . yes sorry cruise line carnival liberty going from miami to cozumel where hubby wants to dive then belize maybe beach excursion then another port then grand caymen. we are not exotic drinkers just beer n wine and plain old cappucino coffee do you get tea/coffee in your cabin hope this is a bit clearer thanks x

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cash account

On the ships I've been on, they always add a gratuity of around 15% to drinks purchased on board so you need to factor that into your budget too.

A glass of house wine on some ships I've been on has been around $7-9.

Cappacinos or Lattes - around $2.50 - $3.

Sorry, I don't drink beer so have no idea of the price !

Cocktails can be up to $12.95 on some ships too.

The cheapest bottle of wine I've seen on board a ship is around $20 (plus gratuity).

If you've booked your cruise, you should be able to access the cost of the shore excursions too.

So if you use the figures above to work out roughly if you'll have enough money but it would be wise for you to take a CC or other means of withdrawing $$ just in case you spend more than you expected.

And don't forget the gratuities to crew which may be an auto charge on your stateroom account - it usually is added every day. At anytime during your cruise you can go to reception and ask for a copy of your stateroom account so you can keep an eye on expenditure and make sure there's no human error there for any hand written receipts...I have found figures transposed accidently and luckily had my original receipt so the matter was quickly corrected.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
715 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cash account

thankyou for your help we havent actually booked yet just looking into everything it wont be until 2013 if we do just thought i would gather all imfo first, thanks again x

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cash account

I think it will be worth getting a credit card if you don't have one already, you can cancel it after your holiday if you don't like them.

We are going on our first cruise next month it's with Thompsons and all the tips are included in the price.

I must say all this 15% added on drinks and auto charges on your room scare me s*****ss so I won't be doing any of those ones!!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cash account

You can't opt out of the 15% drinks surcharge.It's included in the price you pay at the time of ordering.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,241 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cash account

the title of this thread caught my eye....

we'll be on the rhapsody of the seas cruise soon.

planning on a cash account and not using the credit card.

would there be a minimum cash amount that has to be put into the account for the 2 of us? (suggested gratuity is about US$12/person/day)

many thanks.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cash account

It would probably be best to ask the cruise line, if you email them you can then print the reply and take it with you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cash account

Hi June

they'll either tell you at check-in prior to boarding or get you to go to reception first thing and put cash on your account.

I know when we were on the Pacific Pearl last year, there were lots of people in Auckland putting cash on their account as soon as they embarked, primarily because they couldn't use their cruise card for any purchases until they did.

A couple of years ago on the Pacific Sun, I heard the Purser telling someone they had to be in $250 credit all the time.

Have you had a look at their website for that kind of info?